Lithium batteries

bluball

Lots of people run amped lithium batteries and suggest people to buy them.We have saw numerous failures out of amped batteries at the shop.Had a guy in yesterday with 2 bad amp trolling batteries and you could pick them up and shake them and hear water inside.Work on another guys boat that is sponsored by them and he had plastic covering his batteries.If i personally was looking at lithium batteries i would stay away from amped,lithium and water is not a good combination .

bluball

Appreciate the heads up sir those were the batteries i was looking at. So ionic or dakota then...
If getting named brand lithium i would get ionic or impulse lithium.We have saw a few dakota bad at the shop.Dakotas are not the worst,they are some of the top contenders forsure.But i believe ionic and impulse lithium are the 2 best with little to no failures.We at the shop dont even sell impulse lithium,but you dont ever see anyone with any problems with them.There are a couple other brands also we have saw go bad,but warranty usually takes care of them.Like in the amped scenario,im sure amped will replace them.But having to get warranty replacements multiple times would aggrevate me myself.

WTM

the consequence of outsourcing lowbid buildouts to china. from a safety standpoint dakotas are horrendous. anytime you have a 75% short circuit protection failure rate by an independent tester, you have a problem. that BMS is in there to regulate and protect those LFP cells from thermal runaway and catching something on fire. they have failed to do that.

seems like stuff like this has been happening in the last two years, BMS' shutting down, no heaters in start batteries (until just recently), using milled out lead acid containers, etc. and this is from several major brands out there. its just perplexing to me.

what i really dont get if these companies are having chinese companies build their batteries why not have the company that builds SOK build their batteries. the build quality of those batteries is unbelievable for a chinese manufacturer. the same goes for the one that builds ampere time, power queen, chins and enjoybot.

scn

OK, another dumb question by me: Every time I tell myself that my next trolling motor batteries are going to be lithium, I read of a major fire started by a lithium battery. It was on the news today where a fire started in an e-bike shop in NY that killed 6?

Are these the same (type) batteries I would be putting in my skiff? If so, I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have been seriously considering an Ionic for my boat.
I will be honest though, I am just about scared to.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I'm sticking with my non lithium batteries for now until these horror stories become non-existent. My boat is a 2021 and the Interstate batteries have been performing well. Heavy yes, but reliable and non exploding.

WTM

OK, another dumb question by me: Every time I tell myself that my next trolling motor batteries are going to be lithium, I read of a major fire started by a lithium battery. It was on the news today where a fire started in an e-bike shop in NY that killed 6?

Are these the same (type) batteries I would be putting in my skiff? If so, I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

i wasnt going to answer any more technical questions on here due to the "feeling smart comment" on another thread but i will on this one since you helped me a ton getting started in fly fishing.

those are not the same chemistries and neither are the ones on yacht boat fires of late. those are NMC (nickel, manganese, cobolt) mainly due to thier run times for bicycles and water toys. they are also the same type that catch fire in tesla's. they are a liquid chemistry that when shorted, create a thermal runaway reaction when the cobolt oxidizes.

these marine batteries (with the exception of the higher voltage labeled NMC's and drill batteries) are Lifep04 chemistry. this is a solid chemistry that doesnt exhibit the oxidation properties of NMC. the worst you are going to see is more than likely a little smoke and melted plastic. although mind my comments about the dakota lithium problems with their BMS'.

also do not use any battery right now that is labeled as a solid state battery unless you know for sure they have used the solid state chemistry. some are being shipped out with Lipo (lithium polymer) which is about as reactive as NMC and not to be confused with Lifepo4.

we are now using some NaNi (sodium nickel) batteries backups for our high bandwidth routers and they seem to be doing the job with zero chance of fire or smoke on failure. lol, although there havent been any failures yet. i think the future is sodium and Li solid state for small battery cells.

as far as starting batteries and higher voltages on certain equipment, i wont rehash that.

anyhoo if its labeled as a Lifepo4 then its relatively safe. just remember to fuse at the battery with the correct size fuse and type for the feeder conductor and the appropriate size fuse after any fuse/terminal blocks up to the device and use a $2 positive post insulator.

for lithiums or paralled lead acid, a class T type fuses should really be used. if your installer says otherwise or has never heard of the ABYC standards then find another installer.

hope it didnt sound like i was speaking chinese or trying to sound smart, just trying to help folks not to burn their stuff or themselves up. gotta go breaks over. toodleloo.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
i wasnt going to answer any more technical questions on here due to the "feeling smart comment" on another thread
I missed that one apparently.
Tell whoever it was to piss up a rope.
You are a wealth of knowledge and a benefit to the site.
I always appreciate your input, even though sometimes I don't have a clue what you are saying. LOL :D

scn

i wasnt going to answer any more technical questions on here due to the "feeling smart comment" on another thread but i will on this one since you helped me a ton getting started in fly fishing.

those are not the same chemistries and neither are the ones on yacht boat fires of late. those are NMC (nickel, manganese, cobolt) mainly due to thier run times for bicycles and water toys. they are also the same type that catch fire in tesla's. they are a liquid chemistry that when shorted, create a thermal runaway reaction when the cobolt oxidizes.

these marine batteries (with the exception of the higher voltage labeled NMC's and drill batteries) are Lifep04 chemistry. this is a solid chemistry that doesnt exhibit the oxidation properties of NMC. the worst you are going to see is more than likely a little smoke and melted plastic. although mind my comments about the dakota lithium problems with their BMS'.

also do not use any battery right now that is labeled as a solid state battery unless you know for sure they have used the solid state chemistry. some are being shipped out with Lipo (lithium polymer) which is about as reactive as NMC and not to be confused with Lifepo4.

we are now using some NaNi (sodium nickel) batteries backups for our high bandwidth routers and they seem to be doing the job with zero chance of fire or smoke on failure. lol, although there havent been any failures yet. i think the future is sodium and Li solid state for small battery cells.

as far as starting batteries and higher voltages on certain equipment, i wont rehash that.

anyhoo if its labeled as a Lifepo4 then its relatively safe. just remember to fuse at the battery with the correct size fuse and type for the feeder conductor and the appropriate size fuse after any fuse/terminal blocks up to the device and use a $2 positive post insulator.

for lithiums or paralled lead acid, a class T type fuses should really be used. if your installer says otherwise or has never heard of the ABYC standards then find another installer.

hope it didnt sound like i was speaking chinese or trying to sound smart, just trying to help folks not to burn their stuff or themselves up. gotta go breaks over. toodleloo.
Thank you VERY MUCH!!

bluball

I missed that one apparently.
Tell whoever it was to piss up a rope.
You are a wealth of knowledge and a benefit to the site.
I always appreciate your input, even though sometimes I don't have a clue what you are saying. LOL :D
Dang i dont know how to piss up a rope🤣🤣🤣🤣i offically apologize,im sorry,but @WTM already knows im sorry🤣🤣🤣

bluball

nah youre still my favorite turd. maybe it wasnt directed at me. maybe im over thinking after that pm a couple years ago and turning into an old white guy. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
nah youre still my favorite turd. maybe it wasnt directed at me. maybe im over thinking after that pm a couple years ago and turning into an old white guy. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Well as long as your wife is doing good and recovering all is good.Gotta have someone to keep you straight🤣

Last edited:

Spurhunter

If getting named brand lithium i would get ionic or impulse lithium. But i believe ionic andr impulse lithium are the 2 best with little to no failures.
I took your advice and I'm giving Impulse a shot. I have 3 Dakota Lithiums on my bass boat, but I needed a small lithium for my pond boat just to run the 30lb. thrust trolling motor. I bought an Impulse 18ah. I have zero complaints on my Dakotas, but you recommended the Impulse and it was cheaper than the same size Dakota.

Lt.Dan

Just following along. I was thinking lithium to power my Lowrance. But also wanting the lead to use as counter weight in my little Jon Boat. I'm not planning on a trolling motor and my motor will be a pull start. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hduke86

Just following along. I was thinking lithium to power my Lowrance. But also wanting the lead to use as counter weight in my little Jon Boat. I'm not planning on a trolling motor and my motor will be a pull start. Any suggestions are appreciated.
In your situation I would still go with the lithium and try to adjust/rearrange some stuff to help distribute the weight. If it needs any counter weight somewhere. I would just fill a couple of two liter bottles with water and add subtract the weight by drinking it if it was hot outside or pour it out.

Latest posts