Lime question

Bone Collector

was thinking my land does not have many wide access points nor roads, so a lime spreader truck is not an option right now. I was thinking about buying it in portions i will need about 5,000 lbs and spread it myself, but someone mentioned to me today that i may want to look at pellatized lime. I know it is about $3 a bag but I was told it would take less, but last less time.

my question is how do you convert a 2 ton per acre recommendation to lbs of pellets?

bbuck14

I was told yesterday at our local farm supply pelletized lime is $4.25 for a 50 lb bag. Also they said it was the same as ag lime, 50lbs is 50lbs. I'm going to use one of the pull behind spreaders with my 4-wheeler they have at TSC. I believe its like a 400lb hopper on it. It'll make it alot easier spreading it.

Boone 58

I bought about 20-22 tons last year from Floyd trucking in Wayne county for about 325.00 if i remember correctly......this is a deal per ton. You should be able to find it much cheaper than 95 per ton which is no deal at all.

Bone Collector

777rellik said:
Bulk lime at coop is around 95.00 bucks a ton.

I don't know which Co-op you use but the one in M'boro quoted me $25 per ton delivered and spread. However, I don;t have the road systems to get the big truck to where i would need it. they did say that i could make multiple trips and get a pull behind spreader.

Now the guy told me that pellet lime is quicker acting, but last less time. he did say that i would only need 4-500 lbs.

This is why i asked, because it didn't make sense to me.

Bone Collector

I guess I should mention the bags they were talking about were just over $3 for 40lbs. if i put down 500 lbs it would cost me about $52. So about double, but i would not have an issue getting a truck in there, making multiple trips with a pick up truck, and it would be easy for me to spread.

bbuck14

I just read on the internet that the ratio of ag lime compared to pellitized lime is 10-1. In other words if you need 2000lbs of ag lime then it'll only take 200lbs of pelletized lime. But also it's recommended with pelletized lime you go back and reapply it every year.

JCDEERMAN

bbuck14 said:
I just read on the internet that the ratio of ag lime compared to pellitized lime is 10-1. In other words if you need 2000lbs of ag lime then it'll only take 200lbs of pelletized lime. But also it's recommended with pelletized lime you go back and reapply it every year.

There is also a difference in timing as far as how long before you see the effects

PickettSFHunter

Better check your sources when looking at these things, lots of misinformation out there. Yes there can be a difference but 10-1 is for a short term fix of a year or so. Its based on the neutralizing value and others factors I wont go into because its very indepth. The ag lime Ive used has a NV of 67%. Ive seen pellet lime with a NV of 90%. So, in that case You could use less pellet lime but you would still be around 1500 pounds per acre of pellet compared to 2000 pounds of ag lime per acre. Effective neutralizing value and all other kinds of info should be on the bag.

Hunter 257W

I have never considered pelletized lime so know nothing about how it compares to standard agricultural lime. I do know what I paid for ag lime last year though. I got 12 tons and it cost me $22 per ton. The rock quarry quoted me $14/ton to bring it out and dump it in a pile in my field and something like $12/ton if I came and picked it up at the quarry.

bbuck14

You can Google ag lime vs pelletized lime and click on:What is the difference between ag lime and pelletized lime...and it'll tell you the ratio I quoted above as well as I had mentioned they recommend you reapplying each year when using the pelletized lime. But I can tell you this, if you plan to use a small spreader powdered lime doesn't pass through the small openings in the spreader very well. Pelletized lime may not be the best or the lowest maintenance lime to put out but if you can't get a truck back there it may be the best option.

Bone Collector

bbuck14 said:
You can Google ag lime vs pelletized lime and click on:What is the difference between ag lime and pelletized lime...and it'll tell you the ratio I quoted above as well as I had mentioned they recommend you reapplying each year when using the pelletized lime. But I can tell you this, if you plan to use a small spreader powdered lime doesn't pass through the small openings in the spreader very well. Pelletized lime may not be the best or the lowest maintenance lime to put out but if you can't get a truck back there it may be the best option.

that is what i am thinking.

SALTMAN

Bone collector , see the above post on lime. I have a spreader that will work on Ag lime, powdered , . Holds 1000 lbs pulls behind atv or tractor to get into tight spots. Joe

Latest posts