Food Plots Lime/fertilizer timing?

utvolsfan77

Most high school ag teachers, county extension agents, and others say to first use lime to get the soil PH in balance, bearing in mind that it takes many months for pelletized lime to dissolve into the soil. Then once the soil is near neutral PH (around 7.0), spread fertilizer based upon soil tests for each section.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Lime needs to be applied first. It's takes a while to get active in the soil (3-6 months) dependent on if it's pelletized or ag lime. Fertilizer can be spread even after everything sprouts, but I like to try and have everything limed and fertilized before planting. "Before or after breaking the ground" would be dependent on how deep you are burying it. If too deep, might not get the same results from just disking from my experience.

Hridge

1st and most importantly, do a soil sample and get it tested. On my farm, I go in and bush hog/mow a field I want to plant. I try to knock it down tight and mow the piles of cut grass to break them up. I then disc the field and let It sit for 2 weeks. After that, I spray round up on the field to kill a anything that is sprouting (wear mask and protective clothing). 5 days later, I come in and lime and fertilize the field. Amount of lime needed on the field is based on your soil sample results/PH. Amount/type of fertilizer needed is based on soil sample and type of seed your planting. I then cultipack or drag it. Next I seed it with whatever I'm planting (clover,rape,brassica etc..) and then cultipack/drag it lightly one more time to get good seed to soil contact. I will spray it again once it's established if I see grass or weeds with recommended herbicide. Type of Herbicide is purchased for what I'm wanting to kill and making sure it won't hurt what I have planted. A farmers Co-op is a great place to go for seed/lime/fertilizer/soil test/help. I actually find it cheaper to buy in bulk and have the co-op come out in their truck and spread fertilizer and lime on my fields (if I'm doing more than 4 acres). Hope this helps. Not an expert by any means but I have had great success doing it this way. If u do it right on the front end (especially if ur planting a perineal) you will get several years of return out of that planting. I planted clover (crimson/red/ladino mix) 6 years ago and all I do each year is just herbicide, mow, and fertilize them. They look as good today as the day I planted them. Good luck!!

TRIGGER

1st and most importantly, do a soil sample and get it tested. On my farm, I go in and bush hog/mow a field I want to plant. I try to knock it down tight and mow the piles of cut grass to break them up. I then disc the field and let It sit for 2 weeks. After that, I spray round up on the field to kill a anything that is sprouting (wear mask and protective clothing). 5 days later, I come in and lime and fertilize the field. Amount of lime needed on the field is based on your soil sample results/PH. Amount/type of fertilizer needed is based on soil sample and type of seed your planting. I then cultipack or drag it. Next I seed it with whatever I'm planting (clover,rape,brassica etc..) and then cultipack/drag it lightly one more time to get good seed to soil contact. I will spray it again once it's established if I see grass or weeds with recommended herbicide. Type of Herbicide is purchased for what I'm wanting to kill and making sure it won't hurt what I have planted. A farmers Co-op is a great place to go for seed/lime/fertilizer/soil test/help. I actually find it cheaper to buy in bulk and have the co-op come out in their truck and spread fertilizer and lime on my fields (if I'm doing more than 4 acres). Hope this helps. Not an expert by any means but I have had great success doing it this way. If u do it right on the front end (especially if ur planting a perineal) you will get several years of return out of that planting. I planted clover (crimson/red/ladino mix) 6 years ago and all I do each year is just herbicide, mow, and fertilize them. They look as good today as the day I planted them. Good luck!!

Thank you. I just received my soil samples back yesterday. 3.3 tons of lime per acre. I don't have the paper in front of me to remember the fertilizer. Having them come out and spread the lime is the way to go from what I understand but I don't think I will ever get a big truck in there until it's real dry in the summer. He (co-op) said I can spread 1 ton of pellet lime per acre with their buggy and do the same??

megalomaniac

Lime asap... get ph 6.5 to start with. As long as the ground is level (lime won't wash off), no need to disk. Pelletized lime works faster than ag lime.... but ag lime is way cheaper. Once I get ph to 6.5, I top dress with a little pelletized lime here and there.

Fertilizer should be applied right around time of planting, and preferably right before a rain. Nitrogen will evaporate if put down too early.

With the cost of fertilizer doubling this year, I'm not going to spend the money on fertilizer until AFTER I've planted and am sure I have a good stand this spring. Gives me the option of reseeding versus just having a weak summer crop, saving my $$$ for fall when it really counts.

megalomaniac

Thank you. I just received my soil samples back yesterday. 3.3 tons of lime per acre. I don't have the paper in front of me to remember the fertilizer. Having them come out and spread the lime is the way to go from what I understand but I don't think I will ever get a big truck in there until it's real dry in the summer. He (co-op) said I can spread 1 ton of pellet lime per acre with their buggy and do the same??
Pelletized lime raises ph quicker with less tonnage... but doesn't last very long

DoubleRidge

I've been in the same boat before on lime ...couple years back I couldn't get the big truck with Ag lime booked....they were covered up with bigger jobs.....so I went with pelletized lime and rented the buggy....I rented the ground driven buggy and pulled it with a 4WD pick-up....if you go this route have a buddy or family member to serve as a ground man.....to help you line up correctly on the plot and to engage/disengage ground drive as you start and stop....save you from getting in and out of truck so much...and reduce waste.....as mentioned, pelletized doesn't last as long...but it's easier to handle and you can spread it yourself.

BSK

I've been in the same boat before on lime ...couple years back I couldn't get the big truck with Ag lime booked....they were covered up with bigger jobs.....so I went with pelletized lime and rented the buggy....I rented the ground driven buggy and pulled it with a 4WD pick-up....if you go this route have a buddy or family member to serve as a ground man.....to help you line up correctly on the plot and to engage/disengage ground drive as you start and stop....save you from getting in and out of truck so much...and reduce waste.....as mentioned, pelletized doesn't last as long...but it's easier to handle and you can spread it yourself.
How much does it cost to rent the buggy?

Latest posts