• Yes

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Maybe, depends on how ornery a bird he was to call in

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Boll Weevil

The thread about silent toms and some choosing not to shoot them got me thinking; who'll shoot a limbhopper? I absolutely don't mean shooting a bird off the roost. Rather, a bird you call in but he flies up at the last minute, within gun range, to try and get a look at the "hen." He might even fly from tree to tree in an attempt to get a look. It doesn't happen to me terribly often but it does happen...I absolutely despise limbhopper.

Setterman

I had a bird many years that ended up below me on a mountain that had worked in from several hundreds out, between me and him was a cliff. At some point he can't take anymore and flies straight up the mountain towards me and lands on a limb at about 20 yards. I killed him with zero remorse

I've never had one fly in off the roost and land on a limb. If answered and came to my call I'd say he'd die.

I have had several times I could've Killed one that I sat down under and will not kill one that way

bvoss55

The thread about silent toms and some choosing not to shoot them got me thinking; who'll shoot a limbhopper? I absolutely don't mean shooting a bird off the roost. Rather, a bird you call in but he flies up at the last minute, within gun range, to try and get a look at the "hen." He might even fly from tree to tree in an attempt to get a look. It doesn't happen to me terribly often but it does happen...I absolutely despise limbhopper.
I've had this happen. I was surprised as I had never heard of it happening at the time. I let the 12g eat because to me, he had left the roost tree and I had called him into gun range.
I think part of the reason this happened with me is because it was late season, I was set up within 50 yards or so of his tree, and the ground cover was pretty thick.

Last edited:

Southern Sportsman

I have had several times I could've Killed one that I sat down under and will not kill one that way
Same here. I absolutely will not shoot one off the roost. And that would include a turkey switching limbs in his roost tree before flying down. But if he has clearly left the roost, and he comes to me but happens to fly to a limb to (presumably) get a better vantage point, I'm going to treat him exactly like I wood a turkey that circles the high side of a ridge to get a better vantage point.

I've never had it happen with a gobbler, but I've had cranky hens do it.

megalomaniac

I've yet to kill a limbhopper, but won't hesitate as long as I have a clear shot at his noggin.

I will NEVER roost shoot a tom. Over the years, I've had around a dozen I've set up under in the pitch black and found I was in shotgun range at daybreak. The minute his feet touch the ground, he's fair game, though. Interestingly, I've only managed to kill about a third of the birds I've set up on less than 40 yards away. Just too close, far too easy for them to look you over while they are safely in the tree. I'd much rather be 75 yds away.

Andy S.

In all of my years in the turkey woods, I have seen some strange things, but a limb hopper as described in this thread is not one of them. Furthermore, I cannot recall any of my turkey hunting buds ever telling a story about calling a turkey in only to have him fly up in a tree at the last minute. I have to wonder why a gobbler would do that, as it seems to be very out of the ordinary.

Boll Weevil

The last bird I had do this was just a couple of years ago in a stand of huge, open bottomland hardwood. Worked him off the limb and saw him coming strutting/gobbling down through the timber. When he flew up I thought maybe a cat or yote might have spooked (had that happen before), but no, he gets up there and starts strutting. He even changed limbs...he'd strut then fold and look, craining his neck looking.

The timber was open, it was early in the season so not leafed out yet, and I guess he thought he should have been able to see the hen by then. When he couldn't see her, up the tree he goes.

Andy S.

Interesting, and makes more sense with flat ground and no foliage, as compared to hills/hollars with relief. How far out was he when he flew up? How far from you was he when he landed?

Boll Weevil

He was within gun range on the limb and when he pitched back down he quartered away still looking for a hen. I thought for sure he'd pitch down and come on to me but he didn't.

KPH

If he is on the roost and I am good enough to sneak up on him you can bet your bibby I will shoot him if it is legal shooting hours. I don't think too many are in danger of being shot..

PalsPal

In all of my years in the turkey woods, I have seen some strange things, but a limb hopper as described in this thread is not one of them. Furthermore, I cannot recall any of my turkey hunting buds ever telling a story about calling a turkey in only to have him fly up in a tree at the last minute. I have to wonder why a gobbler would do that, as it seems to be very out of the ordinary.
I've had it happen twice. The first time he was just out of range.

The second time, I could tell that there were two gobblers together. I had repositioned several times. Finally I could tell that one had committed, and I got ready. It wasn't until then that I realized I was in a bad spot. It was fairly open plus there were numerous saplings. Finding a shooting lane would tough. I finally saw him at about 50 steps. He slowly eased toward me. I had picked out a lane and waited. Of course he stopped before getting to it.

He then flew up into a tree pretty high, but within 40 yds or so. There was another limb between him and me, and he would stretch his neck out over the limb and look my direction, and then stretch under the limb and look. He did this 3-4 times. I decided if he stuck it under the limb again, I was going to shoot. He did and I did.

He dropped like a sack of potatoes. As I approached him, I heard a commotion, and his buddy flew up into the same tree and watched me pick this one up.

It was crazy.

TN Larry

I had it happen once years ago. He limb hopped from his roost tree and strutted. I never could get a clear shot as it was later in the year with leaves on but was going to if the opportunity presented itself.

I had a hen fly into the same tree off the roost that I was set up on a couple of years ago.

megalomaniac

Just curious, I am not a turkey hunter, but why is shooting one on the roost frowned upon?
It just isn't fair or sporting...

Same as shooting doves on a wire instead of flight or letting ducks land on the water and shoot them.

Far too easy to walk right to the tree in the dark if you know the exact tree and snipe him off the limb.

Latest posts