lights for night boating?

larry ipock

Getting ready to put one on. Friend had one put on his boat last year. Best thing I've seen for nite fishing. I've been using the old Stan Sloan lites for years. To me its makes as much a difference as a blacklite vs no blacklite.

WTM

larry ipock":ppzwxrz5 said:
Getting ready to put one on. Friend had one put on his boat last year. Best thing I've seen for nite fishing. I've been using the old Stan Sloan lites for years. To me its makes as much a difference as a blacklite vs no blacklite.

so what type of lights are you gonna use?

larry ipock

Its a 16 ft. strip of black lite LEDs. Goes under the rub rail. They need to be glued on is the only drawback. Have not put it on yet because its so hot right now. Found several types on Amazon for a better price than anywhere else.

larry ipock

Its a 16 ft. strip of black lite LEDs. Goes under the rub rail. They need to be glued on is the only drawback. Have not put it on yet because its so hot right now. Found several types on Amazon for a better price than anywhere else.

TNReb

I have the Bluewater LED blacklight (UV) strips. I recessed them in the rub rail. They work well as long as you're using fluorescent line.

7230399b6d06f236a3cf0f84c8354e52.jpg
aaac5034aa1ac9877e9c74e983ca731a.jpg

Biggun4214

larry ipock":1nbw6ty7 said:
For running down the lake ,get a set of headlites, been using them since 2000. Would not be without them.

If these interfere with your navigation lights they are illegal.

WTM

Biggun4214":1ql8on7t said:
larry ipock":1ql8on7t said:
For running down the lake ,get a set of headlites, been using them since 2000. Would not be without them.

my bow nav lights are on a removable candle stick so it should be above the running lights i would like to have. maybe a 6 led spreader mounted on the front and tilted down at the water 30 ft out front?

navigation in the dark is not a problem but seeing obstructions in the dark is a problem.

larry ipock

WTM":2dkktxh4 said:
Biggun4214":2dkktxh4 said:
larry ipock":2dkktxh4 said:

my bow nav lights are on a removable candle stick so it should be above the running lights i would like to have. maybe a 6 led spreader mounted on the front and tilted down at the water 30 ft out front?

navigation in the dark is not a problem but seeing obstructions in the dark is a problem.

They don't interfere with navigation, been running headlites since 2000. Got em mounted on each side of the boat, slightly below and behind bow nav. lite. They saved me from hitting obstructions many many times. And not a few boaters setting out in the middle of the lake with no lites whatsoever!!

TNReb

WTM":2j1ts1z5 said:
ok, so are those bright enough to see out in front when running down the lake?
Nope... not at all. They don't really light up the area so you can see well, they just light up fluorescent line so you can see it.

For running at night, I just carry a spotlight and go slow.

larry ipock

TNReb":24jky014 said:
WTM":24jky014 said:
Nope... not at all. They don't really light up the area so you can see well, they just light up fluorescent line so you can see it.

Used a spotlite for years until I reaslized how much better the headlites work. They are just a pair of docking lites, they are not overpowering bright, they just help me navigate a lot safer. And I never go over 15 to 25 m.p.h. at nite anyway. I see guys all the time running at full speed at nite. I guess they can see better than me. :)

TNReb

larry ipock":9993o64o said:
TNReb":9993o64o said:
WTM":9993o64o said:

Used a spotlite for years until I reaslized how much better the headlites work. They are just a pair of docking lites, they are not overpowering bright, they just help me navigate a lot safer. And I never go over 15 to 25 m.p.h. at nite anyway. I see guys all the time running at full speed at nite. I guess they can see better than me. :)
And those guys are going to eventually tear up a lower unit if they run on lakes like Old Hickory. You gotta be nuts to run fast on that lake in the dark.

Do you have a link to the types of lights you installed?

larry ipock

Don't know about Old Hickory, But they probably wouldn't go very far on Lake Cumberland. Its like a minefield from April thru June with floating logs and full size trees.

The set I have, I've had since 05. Got em at Cabelas. They are the old style lites. Cabelas and Bass Pro has the halogen docking lites, but I don't know how brite they would be. The ad says 55 watt.

larry ipock

To WTM about the headlites. I looked at mine today, and I told you wrong where I bought them. They are Stan Sloane docking headlites. You can find them on the Stan Sloan Zorro Bait Co., website. Sorry about that.

WTM

larry ipock":1m9sehiy said:
To WTM about the headlites. I looked at mine today, and I told you wrong where I bought them. They are Stan Sloane docking headlites. You can find them on the Stan Sloan Zorro Bait Co., website. Sorry about that.

lol i would prolly get by with just one of those. i cant by the pics but is the mounting stud on those threaded so i could mount it right side up thru a drilled hole and secure it with a locknut? also do they pivot vertically so to adjust the beam close to the water or are they fixed?

larry ipock

Yes they are threaded, and can rotate horizontally or vertically. Mine are mounted on L shaped homemade aluminum brackets (v bottom). They can rotate vertically or horizontally. I had one of these lites on a Stratos, just forward of the right side kleat, and it worked great. Friend had a pair mounted just above the waterline, forward under the trolling motor, that worked the best for navigation, until a big wave sheared them rite off! With the v bottom I need two, cause It sits so high in the water. Hope that helps. Strange story, we were running limb lines one time , two years ago. I had the lites on and the big engine at idle speed, and I look down and shad are swimming near the boat, and small stripers were coming and getting the shad. So much for stripers being boat shy huh?

Latest posts