Let's talk props

hillbillyfab

Got to do a little prop shopping it seems. This is on a 16x48 flat bottom. Not sure if I should just replace what I've got or change in size while I'm shopping. I'm fairly green when it comes to watercraft. My little boat gets up on plane fairly quick. I guess if I could change anything I'd like a little more top end if possible. Let's hear any and all suggestions please. I was going to check on seeing how much this one would cost to repair, if repairable.

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_210126623.jpg
    IMG_20210731_210126623.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 71

Pilchard

New prop time.

There is always a trade off between hole shot and top end. Max speed requires a longer hole shot and vice versa. The only reason to change size(diameter) that I am aware of is if your boat is severely under powered. You would then decrease prop size to increase rpms. Adjusting for pitch is how you change performance on a properly powered vessel. Well, that, and perhaps exploring a 4-blade option.

All that said, if you are happy with the performance before the prop was damaged, I'd just buy the same one.

hillbillyfab

Appreciate the response. Makes sense to stay with the original, if it's working sufficiently so far. What about material, stay? What about the materials? I see some props made from aluminum, some stainless? Any reason to go with one over the other?

Pilchard

Stainless props are more expensive and more durable. Aluminum props are considered disposable by most. If you are running your boat in a place where it is likely to get banged up by rocks you should stick with aluminum. If you hit a rock with a stainless prop it will still get mangled and be a lot more expensive to replace.

mike52

As Pilchard said, I would stay with aluminum until you get the depths of the lakes you fish, hopefully to avoid such as the photo. There will be a raised number in between two of the blades, that is your pitch and size. Don't know what size O B you are running but one number increase on pitch may kill your hole shot and may kill top end RPMs if you don't have power to turn it

Tenntrapper

Also, stainless vs aluminum... If you hit a rock with aluminum, it breaks the prop. Hit it with stainless, and it transfers that impact to the gearbox and lower unit... possibly doing a whole bunch of damage.

Doecrusher

I was looking into ss when re propping and stumbled upon turning point hustler which has a bit higher rake, a little cupping of the blades and also has vent holes like ss. I wouldn't change pitch tho unless you knew what the old prop rpms were before the damage. And I'd prop if for the top end of wot range of your motor.

Andy S.

Also, stainless vs aluminum... If you hit a rock with aluminum, it breaks the prop. Hit it with stainless, and it transfers that impact to the gearbox and lower unit... possibly doing a whole bunch of damage.
This for sure, especially in the rivers I run with downed trees, snags, etc. Props are a lot cheaper than a lower unit.

tnanh

I will trade hole shot with top end all day long. Much safer and much more enjoyable to be in. A boat that struggles to get on top is a miserable ride in my opinion. As crowded as the lakes are now days you want to plane off asap.

Latest posts