Lease Member Etiquette Question?

lpo1981

So I have a question about lease member etiquette or respectfulness to other members and was looking for some input to see if our group of guys is wrong and off base.
We had a previous Kentucky lease and moved to this peice of property 3 years ago when it became available, its a much larger peice of property so we allowed some of the old members of the lease stay on it which included to local guys who own adjoining property to this lease. Now we have no rules as to claiming stands or spots its open to everybody. But when we started we were informed by the local guys that they didn't want anybody hunting on the upper end of the property that adjoined there's cause they have food plots and that took there time and money to put them in and they didn't feel it was rite for everybody to be able to hunt that. So we all respected there request and none of us have ever hunted there food plots and permanent stands. Several of us have camped out the last 3 years on the lower end of the property 300 acres. 4 of us have had tripod feeders out with cameras the last few months and just found out this past weekend that the 2 local guys have been hunting the lower end every day almost the last 2 weeks and they informed one of our other members and they would continue to hunt the property like that till gun season opened and they would move back to there stands. And they continued to hunt this weekend on the lower end despite the fact that several of out members brought there kids for juvenile hunt this weekend including one of them setting up 200-300yds from a kid. So the president of the club was contacted who is also one of the guys in our group of 4. He approached the 2 local guys and asked them about hunting the lower end of the property and they stated they could do whatever they wanted or hunt wherever cause there are no claimed spots on this lease. But when he told them the same would apply for us to be able to hunt there food plots they both stated that it wasn't fair for us to be able to that cause it was there time and money to put those in. The president then said well we have feeders and mineral sites on the lower end and there reply was well that doesn't count and isn't the same as putting in a food plot. Were also pretty sure they have been checking our pulling our sd cards out of our cameras and returning them a few days later. I know we have no permanent stands, no claimed spots. Think this boils down more to a respect thing and the fact that we respected there request and didn't intrude on there area or food plots and maybe we expected the same treatment or repect from them. Oh on a side note there not hunting any of there food plots or permanent stands there for gun season.. sorry for the long rant...

TNGunhunter

If it were me and I was planning on keeping the lease, I would seriously look into doing several things. 1st, not much you can do for this season without causing major friction, but as soon as season is over I would look at forming a board. Look at some of the established hunting clubs and formulate some "club rules" with consequences / fines for breaking said rules. They can decide if they want to stay or not. I've never been a club member anywhere, but when I looked at a hunt club in Hardin County this year, they had what I believe was a "common sense" set-up. They were picky about their memberships (not driven by $) to help create a friendly membership environment, common sense rules that did not change daily (unless it was a safety issue). Again, I've never been a member, didn't join this club either (little too far to drive), but again, it's YOUR club...don't make it harder than it has to be dealin' with not so friendly folks...just my two cents.

Super8

I take it that the adjoining land they own is not a part of the lease and if that is the case I can respect that, but in no way should any of the (lease part) become a sanctuary if the group does not agree with it.
Did they plant these plots on the leased part or on their own land?

Southern Sportsman

If they don't want the other lease members hunting "their" plots, then they should have leased all of it themselves, or they should have bought it outright. But if I was leasing 300 acres, I would hunt all 300 acres. If you're excluded from hunting a portion of the lease, then you should be paying less to reflect that.

It's hard dealing with people some times, but you just need to explain that the lease is a joint venture, and therefore everything is open to everyone. You'll just have to find a fair way of determining who hunts what.

Savage

Their claim on food plots should have only extended the first year. After that, there should have been money from dues to put in group food plots that eere everyone's. it's not hard to find members for a good ky lease.

turk870

been tring to get them kicked out since we got it back,they are the reason we lost it the first time,let them try that stuff on the other side of the lease and it will get bad.the origanal members are still pi@#%$ about loosing it not to mention they are a source of constant drama and problems.thats the main reason we dont go on that side cause it could get ugly.some of the stuff that went on this weekend(from what i heared wasnt up there)with it being juv.is unexcusable as far as im conserned(and i dont even have kids).i also think they are killing more than one buck,no way to prove it but i passed his son about every morning last year of gun season and he killed that one last yr during mzl.

rem270

I feel so fortunate to own my on property for that reason right there. I have never been in a lease but i myself, wouldnt be in one with more than 4 people and i would have to know the other 3 really good to be in on one. ive heard to much bad stuff about leases with 10+ people.

AndyW

Sounds like those selfish two would treat you guys as bad as what you'll let them.

There aint a thing fair about the situation.

lpo1981

Super8 said:
I take it that the adjoining land they own is not a part of the lease and if that is the case I can respect that, but in no way should any of the (lease part) become a sanctuary if the group does not agree with it.
Did they plant these plots on the leased part or on their own land?
The food plots are on the leased property and outside of these 2 members I'm pretty sure there isn't any friction between the other 15 of us on it and to my knowledge there never has been..

lpo1981

turk870 said:
been tring to get them kicked out since we got it back,they are the reason we lost it the first time,let them try that stuff on the other side of the lease and it will get bad.the origanal members are still pi@#%$ about loosing it not to mention they are a source of constant drama and problems.thats the main reason we dont go on that side cause it could get ugly.some of the stuff that went on this weekend(from what i heared wasnt up there)with it being juv.is unexcusable as far as im conserned(and i dont even have kids)

Agreed they should have backed off at least for this weekend since it was juvinile weekend!! Id love nothing more than to see them gone but there gonna hunt that property regardless wether on the lease cause they know were all out of state.. I bet you money if I setup opening morning on one of there food that it would be ugly.

turk870

all we got to do is let the local game warden involved let him know to watch the property,from what ive heared from some locals they have had run ins with warden in past.they might could get on there in bow season but we are pretty much there everyday of gun season.

redblood

leases are tough. i was on one in ky where a guy drove in to his hunting spot on his atv, cause he was too lazy to walk in. problem was he wanted to hunt the back corner of the property so he scented up the whole farm. may look for another lease, maybe a smaller one where u could hand pick your members

AllOutdoors

lpo1981 said:
turk870 said:
been tring to get them kicked out since we got it back,they are the reason we lost it the first time,let them try that stuff on the other side of the lease and it will get bad.the origanal members are still pi@#%$ about loosing it not to mention they are a source of constant drama and problems.thats the main reason we dont go on that side cause it could get ugly.some of the stuff that went on this weekend(from what i heared wasnt up there)with it being juv.is unexcusable as far as im conserned(and i dont even have kids)

Agreed they should have backed off at least for this weekend since it was juvinile weekend!! Id love nothing more than to see them gone but there gonna hunt that property regardless wether on the lease cause they know were all out of state.. I bet you money if I setup opening morning on one of there food that it would be ugly.

Sounds like a couple of idiots. I will come up and hunt their food plots for you. :grin:

Poleaxe

Its clear theres a reason their there to begin with. If u put that much time and $ into a food plot (like they say) and they knew they had it to theirself then they should stay there. Whats happened, them being local theyve seen 1 or multiple shooters in your part which has lured them down there. Maybe even saw the pics off your camera. Thats got to be the only reason their down there. They want to get a crack at it before gun season comes and and rut which means usally more people hunting on a lease. You could retaliate like I did on a lease. I once killed a really good buck on a lease and they got so jelous. Went and told the landowner a bunch of bull to have me kicked off. I was hurt more than angered because these 6 guys were like family. So the day I went to get my stands I went and bought 2 dozen ivory soap bars and as I got my stands I dropped em off everywhere. These soap bars will absolutly ruin a hunting spot for a whole calender yr. The remainder of that season and the next they never killed a deer. They couldnt figure out why every deer attempting to come thru would blow and run. You could deliver some in their fields and push more deer to yal or you could allert your local game warden after letting off the lease to keep an eye out if they were hunting on it while yal wernt there. Have a couple trusted neighbors call u if they seem em on there.

What they would love is for you to take down their stands and place at the main gate with a note attatched saying thanks for coming but we got these food plots covered now.

Latest posts