Leader length

Crow Terminator

For those of you that use braid to fluoro leaders...what leader length do you normally use or do you think it even matters? I've kinda settled on about 4 to 5 foot length for mine. I don't have a specific reason other than when I pull it off the spool, that's just generally about what I have pulled off.

I'm almost exclusively using Fireline for my braid now...I've tried about every brand on the market and I just like it the best. Conventional braid seems to want to knot up on me on the spool during a cast..in particular, trying to make long casts with A-Rigs and frogs on my baitcasting outfits. It doesn't birdnest...just gets a knot and the cast falls abruptly short. Fireline is the only one I've not had to do that.

Chiflyguy

First thing I learned about Fireline?
Don't try and pull a snag barehanded.
Fishing for sauger and walleye, never used a leader.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
On a spinning reel (ML/F and M/F or M/XF rods), I tie on two rod lengths of 8lb fluoro with an Alberto knot. Just means I don't have to tie on a new leader for awhile longer!

NumberOne

Unless you are fishing really clean water I tie a leader where it just above the the reel. I don't want to cast a knot off the reel no matter how good a leader knot you can tie. So given how long your rod is a 6-7.5 foot leader.

moondawg

I used Power Pro as my main line and a 15 ft flouro leader when trout fishing a few weeks ago. I liked that set up and seemed to work well for me

Crow Terminator

I don't use leaders. What is all the hype?
I can only speak for myself but mine is sorta 2 parts.

1. I like fluorocarbon but it is expensive and develops bad memory when spooled straight onto the reel. Using it as a leader, you get more out of the spool and also elimates the memory problem.

2. All the guides I have fished with, use fluoro leaders. And, a lot of it is just me trying to do as the pros do too.

Spurhunter

For those of you that use braid to fluoro leaders...what leader length do you normally use or do you think it even matters? I've kinda settled on about 4 to 5 foot length for mine. I don't have a specific reason other than when I pull it off the spool, that's just generally about what I have pulled off.
I like the longest leader I can get without the knot going into the reel, but I don't get too scientific with it. 5 to 6 foot works for me.

Latest posts