Leader length

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Gonna try braid with a fluorocarbon leader the next couple of months to pick up on those delicate bites from bream and crappie.
How long a leader would you use?
I have never used a rig like this.

Pilchard

How often do you re-tie your hook? Only when you break off? after a few fish?

I'm not a panfish expert but here is my take.... Clear water= longer leader. moving bait(e.g. lurse, minnows)= shorter leader. Stationary or slow moving bait= longer leader. Pressured/inactive fish= longer....etc.

If you re-tie often, you'll want to go longer. BTW, I consider a short leader 18-24" and a long leader would be 4-6' in freshwater.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
How often do you re-tie your hook? Only when you break off? after a few fish?

I'm not a panfish expert but here is my take.... Clear water= longer leader. moving bait(e.g. lurse, minnows)= shorter leader. Stationary or slow moving bait= longer leader. Pressured/inactive fish= longer....etc.

If you re-tie often, you'll want to go longer. BTW, I consider a short leader 18-24" and a long leader would be 4-6' in freshwater.
Usually after 5 or 6 fish.
Thanks!

NumberOne

I dont fish real clear water but I make the leader as long as I can without it actually getting on the reel. I don't like casting the leader knot off the spool. So with that said most of my leaders are 6 foot or so. I like the longer leader so I have more line to use if I break off without tying a new knot.

WTM

I dont fish real clear water but I make the leader as long as I can without it actually getting on the reel. I don't like casting the leader knot off the spool. So with that said most of my leaders are 6 foot or so. I like the longer leader so I have more line to use if I break off without tying a new knot.
+1 usually 4-6 feet depending on which rod i use. i retie every 4 or 5 fish if i dont get hung.

oh yeah, i use hi vis mono for crappie never braid or flouro.

Last edited:

NumberOne

Every spinning rod is braid to leader. If you are using straight flouro on a spinning reel, I highly suggest braid to leader. Its so much more manageable and it cast better. No wind knot or the flouro jumping off the spool. I will use braid to leader on baitcasters especially with bottom contact baits and topwater.

WTM

Every spinning rod is braid to leader. If you are using straight flouro on a spinning reel, I highly suggest braid to leader. Its so much more manageable and it cast better. No wind knot or the flouro jumping off the spool. I will use braid to leader on baitcasters especially with bottom contact baits and topwater.
lol you havent met my son. he can get those 5 dollar wind knots coming off the spool. i finally gave up trying to get him to be a little softer with his casts, keep line tension and keep the casts lower to the water. now i spool his rods up with copoly.

Latest posts