Fluorocarbon Leaders

TheLBLman

For those of you using fluorocarbon leaders on braid,
what do you prefer in terms of length?

Same question if using say a 2-lb fluorocarbon leader on a 6-lb fluorocarbon line?

And what is your preferred method for connecting the line to the leader?

Pilchard

For the braid portion of this, I have spent countless hours trying to answer this question for myself. I will answer based on my findings but will start with the fact that I am not aware of a fish that swims in TN that has the stamina or power to warrant a lot of thought on the topic. What I have seen requires no more than a simple uni to uni knot.

In saltwater applications I mastered tying them all. The Albright, Alberto, Uni, Worm, FG, you name it, I learned how to tie it and tested it against many of the world's largest game fish. The number one thing I found is that they are all strong enough- what's most important is that the angler be able to tie them perfectly under any conditions. My goal was to be able to tie whichever knot I was using at the time in the dark on a rocking boat quickly and perfectly.

A few things for you to consider: How different is the size of your braid to your leader? At some point, it becomes necessary to double up your braid to make your knots 100% effective. Until I settled in the Albright knot, i always tied a bimini or a spider hitch in the braid when connecting lines that are drastically different in size. Having a double line is also required for some of the connection knots I listed above.

You should also consider the style of fishing and how long your leader needs to be. In some applications I would have 20-50' leaders and if that's the case, one of the knots that slipped through my guides the easiest was critical. Conversely if I only needed a 2 foot leader, the knot choice was less important.

So, after years and years of tinkering my recommendation is to pick one you can tie with your eyes closed. There aren't any tarpon in the Cumberland or Bluefins in Kentucky Lake that make your knot choice all that important.

MickThompson

Albright knot for me. 5-6' of fluoro. I don't want my knot in the reel but don't want to be retying leader constantly. 12# braid, usually 8-10# leader. This is for smallmouth in rivers on a spinning rod.

Crow Terminator

I started using the GT knot for line to line leaders and spool attachment. The IGFA did a test of 50 knots and determined the GT was the strongest knot. Well that, and I like simple and this was one of the simplest line to line knots to tie, with the bonus of being the strongest. More details in the video link here: https://youtu.be/TASzTlhfouY

TheLBLman

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
for all the great info & insight!

I've had some the same concerns & issues as many you.
Glad am not alone with these.

For much of my bass fishing, I simply love braid, period, no leader.

The use of various sizes of fluorocarbon leaders sure provides many more options than having to go to an entirely different line/reel/setup.

Another "issue":

When did so many spinning reel manufacturers stop offering "additional" spools, easy to exchange?

Pilchard

Thank you for making this post. I am 2 years removed from the salt and think about it and miss it everyday. Today, between meetings, I grabbed a spool of braid and a spool of 80lb flouro and tied a few knots.

It was a mindless distraction from life and brought back many memories of watching a tarpon eat my bait and go absolutely nuts trying to get free.

Attachments

• D19EF060-D375-45EB-9EFA-8183477EAA4B.jpeg
    D19EF060-D375-45EB-9EFA-8183477EAA4B.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,091

Pilchard

I've found zero use for super glue on knots. Admittedly I didn't read your article. Many friends who are well respected tarpon fisherman use it to secure their FG knots after finishing with half hitches. It is my strong opinion that if your knot needs glue, it's not a good knot. Some say it makes them pass through the guides better but I think that's trying to fix something that truly isn't broken.

On the other hand, I use superglue on all my Z-man and Strike King 3x soft baits. Using this method can make a single bait last for hundreds of long casts and multiple fish. This becomes especially important when using large paddle tails and jerk baits that are multiple dollars per lure.

Jmed

Ive been using braid to flouro leaders on all of my spinning set ups for bass. I cant stand to hear the knot passing through the guides as I cast. I have found the FG knot to be the most compact knot. It is also very strong. May take a few tries to perfect it but its fairly easy once you figure out how to keep tension on the braid.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
WTM":2njc6gjk said:
ive never used glue except to glue baits to jig heads.

Little tip I just picked up a few weeks ago was to wrap the shank of the jig head with dental floss, then add glue and slide the bait up on it.
Works amazing.
Probably common knowledge but I just learned it. LOL

7mm08

Pilchard":2w31wyog said:
Thank you for making this post. I am 2 years removed from the salt and think about it and miss it everyday. Today, between meetings, I grabbed a spool of braid and a spool of 80lb flouro and tied a few knots.

It was a mindless distraction from life and brought back many memories of watching a tarpon eat my bait and go absolutely nuts trying to get free.

So which knot is which??? Thanks

You guys ever try UV KNOT SENSE by Loon products? Great!

TheLBLman

7mm08":32f6v5zu said:
You guys ever try UV KNOT SENSE by Loon products? Great!
No, but thanks to your recommendation, I'm about to!

If I had the advanced eyes-closed knot-tying skills of a Pilchard,
I probably wouldn't need this stuff, but as it is, I need all the help I can get!
https://loonoutdoors.com/products/uv-knot-sense

Even if not needed on a good knot, I like the idea of this
"Smoothes knots to easily slide through guides".

Now I need to get back to improving my Albrights.

cfmartin1833

TheLBLman":3qnkpj9x said:
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
for all the great info & insight!

I've had some the same concerns & issues as many you.
Glad am not alone with these.

For much of my bass fishing, I simply love braid, period, no leader.

The use of various sizes of fluorocarbon leaders sure provides many more options than having to go to an entirely different line/reel/setup.

Another "issue":

When did so many spinning reel manufacturers stop offering "additional" spools, easy to exchange?
I bought a couple reels a few days ago and had no idea that you couldn't get an additional spool for a lot of them. It was told you have to order the direct from the manufacturer. I'd be more than happy to pay an extra fee bucks for a real that came with an extra spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NumberOne

I use a blood knot. Like Pilchard says just find one you can tie well. Doesnt matter what knot you use if you dont tie it well.

TheLBLman

cfmartin1833":1ywtjsyt said:
TheLBLman":1ywtjsyt said:
I bought a couple reels a few days ago and had no idea that you couldn't get an additional spool for a lot of them. I'd be more than happy to pay an extra fee bucks for a real that came with an extra spool.
But now worse, the spools are no longer so easily exchanged
as most were just a few years ago.

It used to be so simple
to just pop one off,
and replace it with another of a different line.

On any particular outing, this WAS a huge advantage as it often meant taking 1 or 2 rods/reels
instead of 3 or 4 or more.

I guess the manufactures have colluded in realizing they make more money selling more reels than more spools?

Latest posts