Late Breeding?

Mike Belt

In the last week I've had 2 last year's early born doe fawns run over just below my driveway and yesterday I found 2 fresh scrapes in my back yard. I've seen small spotted fawns here in November in the past. Looks like I may again.

landman

Mike Belt":v0ek5m9z said:
In the last week I've had 2 last year's early born doe fawns run over just below my driveway and yesterday I found 2 fresh scrapes in my back yard. I've seen small spotted fawns here in November in the past. Looks like I may again.

Can't be....I've read on here the Rut is the first
2 weeks in November

Seriously I've been seeing that occur more
every year.

Mike Belt

Something that's had me perplexed from the get go is that the liberal doe limits we have now are supposedly more evenly balancing the sex ratios and the rut timing... and yet I continue to see very late born fawns. It seems that early born doe fawns may be predisposed to breeding later thus dropping late borns and that those late borns may in turn be breeding late the following season as well???????

landman

Mike Belt":14nsna9j said:
Something that's had me perplexed from the get go is that the liberal doe limits we have now are supposedly more evenly balancing the sex ratios and the rut timing... and yet I continue to see very late born fawns. It seems that early born doe fawns may be predisposed to breeding later thus dropping late borns and that those late borns may in turn be breeding late the following season as well???????

Mike
You've Dead on IMO
We have been seeing and Killing
Mature bucks in Late December chasing
fawns for the past several years, pics in TCs
showing the same thing. This puts those fawns
having fawns 190 days later(I may be off on the
days).

Stykbow

The latest/earliest I've ever seen a buck chasing a doe was near Valentine's Day years ago. On my way home from work right before the Bull run bridge. Does keep cycling in till they're bred and a buck is like any other male. He'll breed anytime, anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bone Collector

Mike Belt":30nux3ro said:

I saw a spotted fawn in November on my place this year.

Andy S.

Mike Belt":17zhvld2 said:
I have a friend in Rossville that mentioned this exact thing to me this week. He said his woods had freshly worked scrapes in them this past weekend when he was out scouting/walking through them.

wobblegobble

in my area the 1st rut takes place in mid december and the 2nd during the juvy hunt. we see spotted fawns in muzzy season each year.

TboneD

I've seen bucks that still had antlers here in Wilson County in late March. Found fresh scrapes at LBL years ago in late Feb. But I've never seen any late fawns. Maybe the coyotes found them first?

Biggun4214

I've seen spotted fawns in late December. I checked a hunter that had killed a doe in October that had not dropped her fawn. I confiscated a spotlighted fawn on Friday, Nov 13 several years ago. The fawn may have been 2 weeks old.

AT Hiker

Biggun4214":31ibofiv said:
. I confiscated a spotlighted fawn on Friday, Nov 13 several years ago. The fawn may have been 2 weeks old.

I would have lost my job after I smacked that poacher.

Biggun4214

AT Hiker":2xvb8bo4 said:
Biggun4214":2xvb8bo4 said:
. I confiscated a spotlighted fawn on Friday, Nov 13 several years ago. The fawn may have been 2 weeks old.

Don't remember the exact cost but there were 2 spotlighters. The Judge was nicknamed Maximum Max and he usually lived up to it. Between bond, lawyer fees, fines, courtcost, civil penalties, and buying back the guns I would say that the billfolds got smacked for $3-4000. Their lawyer was willing to plead the case before trial. He said he didn't want a jury seeing the pics of the fawn. The DA stated he had smaller penalties on most drug cases.

AT Hiker

Biggun4214":1noirz1i said:
AT Hiker":1noirz1i said:
Biggun4214":1noirz1i said:

Don't remember the exact cost but there were 2 spotlighters. The Judge was nicknamed Maximum Max and he usually lived up to it. Between bond, lawyer fees, fines, courtcost, civil penalties, and buying back the guns I would say that the billfolds got smacked for $3-4000. Their lawyer was willing to plead the case before trial. He said he didn't want a jury seeing the pics of the fawn. The DA stated he had smaller penalties on most drug cases.

Wow! Glad they got smacked good and thank you for making it happen.

Andy S.

Biggun4214":26hn2cdi said:
I've seen spotted fawns in late December. I checked a hunter that had killed a doe in October that had not dropped her fawn. I confiscated a spotlighted fawn on Friday, Nov 13 several years ago. The fawn may have been 2 weeks old.
I believe it. I saw a doe and two fawns this evening in a pasture and the little ones looked 30-40 pounds max. They had to be late born this past fall.

gator-n-buck

Good thread... I have been hunting in TN for 28 years now. I know I'm a FL boy that grew up dog hunting. I read post all the time, when is the rut??? I have seen bucks chasing the first week of Nov. to the last week of Dec. in E. TN. I believe the 2nd and 3rd weekend in Nov. are magical and take that time off. But I have witness big buck chasing through Dec.

Biggun4214

We collected fetuses from road kill several years ago and aged them. I picked up a couple of fawns that were bred in March.

Mike Belt

I've always found scrapes during early turkey season and I don't consider them related to breeding but rather spikes in testosterone levels. However, finding active scrapes now along with a couple fresh road kills of young does leads me to believe that there's some breeding going on. I didn't check the does to see if they looked like they were in heat. I should have.

BSK

Mike Belt":s8cc1sqv said:

I think it's something environmental Mike, and has far more to do with antler-shedding than breeding. Been seeing a ton of fresh scrapes in the last week all over the region I work. Considering each of these properties has different peak breeding dates, but they are all seeing this surge in scraping, I think it is far more about upcoming events (antlergenesis) than about breeding.

Latest posts