Last ditch quickie plot, what to sow???

TresMon

So here in K-ville we have had two days of rain/sprinkle...

I have two tiny pathetic food plots way out in the middle of a 200 acre private forest. If I were willing to drag myself out there today, what is the one toughest grow anywhere deer-like- it seed I can throw down and walk off?

TresMon

I went to the local seed store and got a mix of seeds. 10# Rye, 10# Wheat, and 2.5# Crismon. (It was all I could afford.) I ran out and sowed it HEAVY on about a quarter acre just before dark.

I sowed my first small plot heavy,(10 yards x 5 yards?) and then decided I had so much seed I just sowed a path (55 yards?) over to my other tiny plot. Inbetween plots I just sowed it over leaves and all! Then I heavily sowed the tiny plot too. (10 foot circle)

I'm hoping with all this rain it will wash some of the seed on the leaves/forest floor down under to the dirt. We'll see.

I also have a corn feeder hanging over the larger plot. Man I hope it draws A or ANY deer by the time I hunt that place in three weeks! (YES! I'm certainly going to remove all corn 11.5 days prior to hunting the spot just to be well in the clear...)

Thanks for the advice on seed!!!! I'm praying we get a lot of rain, but over the whole week. Not just a down poor with 80% run off.

TresMon

New Question!!

Thanks so much for the advice fellas!!!! On a wing and a prayer I went in as that rain we had week before last moved in and sowed. I got 10# Rye 10# Wheat and 2.5 pounds of C.clover. I sowed it on my 2 LITTLE food plots, and broadcasted the rest of the seed I had over the wilderness leaf little between the plots.

WOW! There's sprouts EVERYWHERE! There up 2.5 inches or so.

What to do next? Fertilize? when? with what? Do nothing?

Thanks!

Latest posts