Lane Kiffin! What might have been?

PalsPal

A great read.

And they nearly made good on Kiffin's prediction, coming closer than anyone to beating the Tide in a season that ended with Saban's first national championship in Tuscaloosa. Alabama escaped 12-10, sealing the victory on the final play when mammoth nose guard Terrence Cody blocked Daniel Lincoln's 44-yard field goal attempt.

Lance Thompson remembers walking past Kiffin on the sideline just before the kick. Lincoln had already missed one field goal and had another one blocked, and he was nursing a painful quadriceps injury. But make or miss, Kiffin was relishing the stress he was putting on his future boss.

"Lane comes up to me and says, '[Lincoln] is hurt, and this is a long kick. It's going to be tough for him to make it. But look across the field at [Saban]. Just look at his face. That in itself is almost worth whatever happens,'" Thompson said.

After the game, Kiffin strolled through the mass of crimson and orange on the Bryant-Denny Stadium field to find Saban for the postgame handshake and said, "Hey, good game, but that's the last time it's going to happen."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -tennessee

TreyB

"Hey, good game, but that's the last time it's going to happen."

He was spot on on that. :rotf:

buckaroo

Well our program has basically fallen last few years because of Dooley, Butch, yeah we could have been much different looking back

PillsburyDoughboy

gator-n-buck":1bbmt7mz said:
PillsburyDoughboy":1bbmt7mz said:
Second guessing him going now???

What coulda been.

Yep.... There are guys still wondering what could of been with their old girlfriends.... :rotf:
Lane was pretty young when he was at the vols. Young dumb and full of it as they say. Not surprising the track record he left behind.

I suspect he has matured greatly and learned much since then. I suspect we will see him in a SEC job before long.

PalsPal

Oh, this part was great also :D !

"A lot of the things I was saying, that's straight out of Steve Spurrier 101, and people loved Coach Spurrier, taking a shot at someone else and making a joke," Kiffin said. "That's who I grew up idolizing, Steve Spurrier. That's why I wear a visor and why I run a wide-open offense. I grew up wanting to be Steve Spurrier.

"And that's why it was so cool to beat him that season."

Spurrier doesn't want any of the credit (or blame) for Kiffin's scorched-earth approach.

"Oh, no, don't blame it on me," Spurrier said. "I wasn't doing and saying some of the stuff he was. I know they clobbered us pretty good that year in that night game.

That's priceless!

PillsburyDoughboy

I saw a article where Lane is pimping to have Florida Atlantic moved to the SEC . Good luck with that one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts