Land Lease

Redfred16

I've been trying hard to find some property to lease in the North Sumner, Trousdale and Macon Co area the 2 I've tried to get myself went like this.

1) I offered $8/acre for a 40 acre property in Trousdale Co mostly hard woods, never heard from the owner again.

2) This Macon Co farm I offered was 54 acre farm not as nice deer hunting wise, mostly hay fields and I offered $10/acre to try and lock it in. The property owner never called or answered any email again.

I've been trying to live by the $800 budget for leasing land my wife gave me. It may not be possible thought I'm finding out.

Diehard Hunter

People with small parcels are mighty proud of what they have. The larger the parcel, the better the deal you will get, but you will need others to go in with you.

.243win

I just grabbed 350 acres in Morgan. Keep asking & eventually something will show up. Took me 4 months to find a good lease.

Bone Collector

what is fair and what people want are two different things. Id say in west and Middle fair price is $5-8 but good luck finding that. you are most likely looking at $10 an acre for places over 100 acres and smaller parcels, people generally want WAY too much. I can't tell whether you have 180 or 500 or both. Either way, ask what you want. If you have food plots established or can show pics of bigger bucks, I think $10 an acre is fair, but that being said, you can probably get that anyway. Post it here or post it on Craigslist and it will get leased. I know one guy on here is in Cannon County and wants a lease out there.

Redfred16

stik said:
leasing is the worst thing that ever happened to hunting.

This is the first time I ever had to do it to hunt. Growing up, anyone that wanted to hunt my grandpa's farm that drove up and asked could, as long as the family had gotten thier deer. He considered most game vermin, they ate his feed crops and chewed up the gardens.

Then I Was lucky enough to have friends that had parents/grandparents with farms in Hayward and Butternut, WI. Finally as an adult I had a friend that had some family land just outside of Crivitz, WI.

It is definately a struggle to find a place to hunt now and not being local doesn't help. I would assume it's easier to ask the nieghbor down the road that you've known for years to hunt that some stranger, even if he's offereing to pay.

Food Plot 101

Wouldn't pay a nickel to hunt someone's property. I'll knock on every door around and find something before that. Heck, I'd even hunt public land more. If more and more folks stop paying ridiculous rates for leases they may become more affordable. But, hunting is turning into a wealthy mans sport. Thank goodness there are thousands of free acres for those who can't/don't lease land.

Redfred16

Food Plot 101 said:
Wouldn't pay a nickel to hunt someone's property. I'll knock on every door around and find something before that. Heck, I'd even hunt public land more. If more and more folks stop paying ridiculous rates for leases they may become more affordable. But, hunting is turning into a wealthy mans sport. Thank goodness there are thousands of free acres for those who can't/don't lease land.

I wish it was that easy. It used to be, but like alot of things, theres no going back now.

I remember just walking down the road and asking a nieghbor of we could walk his hedgerows to hunt. They never cared, we'd normally give them 1/2 of what we killed after we cleaned it for letting us do it.

rukiddin

a friend and I lease a couple of small pieces of land. Call me selfish, but I can't stand knowing someone else is hunting where I am, especially if I do not know them. Might as well hunt public land if landowner lets anybody hunt. Some hunters get stupid when they see a deer. Stupid+rifle= an inevitable bad ending. If the landowner tells me I can hunt, but there also letting someone else hunt....I don't bother with it.

I would lease more in a heartbeat, but I don't hunt the properties much now since there in another state. We will also lease a good duck hole too.

There are too many variables a hunter has no control over that may impact his/her success. At least with a lease, thats one less variable taken out.

Right_Tackle74

Leasing is the BEST thing that ever happened to Hunting. Many people like myself don't have family or family friends with woodland. When I first started Hunting, The only hunts I could go on where draw hunts, or what little public land I could find. I finally got permission to hunt a 66 acre farm after 10 years of Tag soup and, I finally got my first Deer. I killed a lot of deer there until the man that owns the right of way started trouble and I lost it. I found a lease before the next season and killed 6 Deer, Including a 10 pointer. With the internet and classifieds it's EASIER to assure yourself of a place to hunt than it is knocking Door to Door.

hitek7

redblood said:
it is cheaper to buy a piece. hunt it till u get tired of it and sell it for as much or more than u paid for it

If you see some land around Lewisburg that is fairly cheap let me know. I have been looking for some to buy at a good price but I can't find any available at my idea of "good price". I have found it cheaper to lease so far.