Land Improvement literature

BSK

Anything published by the QDMA or the UT agricultural extension office. They both produce GREAT habitat stuff.

Heartpunch

Thanks gents I will check out the information suggested. I have 300 acres and have been working on it for about eight years. We have the food plot issue pretty well taken care of and planted about 30 acres in pines that are providing nice areas of cover. The majority of the farm consists of hardwood ridges and bottoms looking for info on manipulating in phases some of these areas.

Rut-N-Strut

The book Grow em Right by Neil and Craig Dougherty. You can buy it online or at Bass Pro. Very excelent info in this book, all you need to know on food plots, their design, what to plant and everything to make your property better for whitetail.

treefarmer

QDMA/UT ag. extension offer the best publications I have seen. Your best long term bet is to learn as much as you can about forestry and work with a forester to create a forest management plan that includes quality wildlife as one of your goals. A quality forest will create more wildlife benefit overall than food plots. I have a similar sized property and I have put too much effort into food plots because I can see an immediate small benefit. I am planning a pine thinning and two 12 acre clearcuts that will generate more food (and cover) than all of my food plots combined. I recommend you attend the UT healthy hardwoods field day offered each spring, join a county forestry association if you have one, and join the Tennessee Tree Farm Program(free) offered through the Tennessee Forestry Association (615-883-3832). The economics of growing wood for sale are surprisingly worthwhile - our pine thinning and small clearcuts will probably pay us the cost of purchasing our property. Good forestry = good wildlife.

BSK

treefarmer said:
Your best long term bet is to learn as much as you can about forestry and work with a forester to create a forest management plan that includes quality wildlife as one of your goals.

I couldn't agree more. However, the hard part is finding a forester that actually knows what's best for wildlife.

PickettSFHunter

BSK said:
treefarmer said:
Your best long term bet is to learn as much as you can about forestry and work with a forester to create a forest management plan that includes quality wildlife as one of your goals.

I couldn't agree more. However, the hard part is finding a forester that actually knows what's best for wildlife.

Yep. I never could get mine to understand anything I wanted to do for deer. Im alot better off planning everything myself.

BSK

smstone22 said:
BSK said:
treefarmer said:

Yep. I never could get mine to understand anything I wanted to do for deer. Im alot better off planning everything myself.

Foresters are exceptionally knowledgable about sustained economic timber harvests. However, I haven't met one yet that knew how to manage timber for wildlife and hunting.