Lamprey eels

catman529

They seem to be an increasing thing in the harpeth river around here.... For years I'd see the occasional carp swimming around with a lamprey attached. This year they're on a whole lot of fish it seems. Mainly carp, not sure why they prefer carp. Why do they explode in population and is it a bad thing?

Sent from the talk of tap

JimFromTN

Really depends on which ones they are. Nasty little parasites. They are the ticks of the fish world. I have seen them on KY Lake. If you catch a bass with one or more small black circles on it, that is often where the lamprey had latched onto the fish.

catman529

JimFromTN":2vh3s4is said:
Really depends on which ones they are. Nasty little parasites. They are the ticks of the fish world. I have seen them on KY Lake. If you catch a bass with one or more small black circles on it, that is often where the lamprey had latched onto the fish.
the lampreys here favor the common and grass carp but I'll keep an eye on other fish for scars. Most of the carp have red sores from where the eels have bit then before. I will start killing em every time I find a lamprey on a fish.

rukiddin

They are native. These are not the lampreys that are the no the Great Lakes and wreaking havoc. They are pretty much harmless to their host but they will leave a mark.

rukiddin

Why kill them?!? So your killing a native fish that is attached to an invasive that your releasing?!?!? that's like wiping before you poop! Just don't make no sense. Hahaha

catman529

rukiddin":2rdq15jd said:
Why kill them?!? So your killing a native fish that is attached to an invasive that your releasing?!?!? that's like wiping before you poop! Just don't make no sense. Hahaha
I don't like scars all over the pretty golden scales of the monster creek whiskerminnows that I love to catch. :D

catman529

Mudbone":29e7bw31 said:
I plan on going carp fishing in the harpeth soon. I will check them for lampreys when I pull my arrow out of them. :)
stay out of my fishing holes I can show you some other spots if you don't go back to your old neighborhood.