Lake Okeechobee Florida

AndyW

Yes, I know its not in Tennessee....BUT my dad is headed down there for the next two months and I'm wondering if any of yall have been there and if so, are there any tips yall could pass along? He's fired up to do some fishing. His buddy and another guy went out for 2 hours this morning and caught 41 crappie.

Any "dont miss" type sites down there, etc?

Thanks!

Buccaneer

The Big O is a very large place and you didn't say where they are. Assuming they are in or near the marsh areas on the western side, Indian Prairie Canal around to Clewiston, anywhere in the reeds, pepper grass flats and lilly pad sloughs would be great. Indian Prairie Canal was always a Speck (Crappie) hot spot, from there west I would hit the Monkey Box, Moonshine Bay and anywhere I could navigate a trail into the open pockets behind the reed line. Brings back memories.

AndyW

Buccaneer said:
The Big O is a very large place and you didn't say where they are. Assuming they are in or near the marsh areas on the western side, Indian Prairie Canal around to Clewiston, anywhere in the reeds, pepper grass flats and lilly pad sloughs would be great. Indian Prairie Canal was always a Speck (Crappie) hot spot, from there west I would hit the Monkey Box, Moonshine Bay and anywhere I could navigate a trail into the open pockets behind the reed line. Brings back memories.

Thanks for the info! If I'm not mistaken, he's going to be on the east side though.

TheLBLman

I enjoyed a couple trips there (bass fishing), but it wasn't exactly what I expected. To me, it was more akin to fishing an ocean than a shallow-water lake. If bass fishing in Florida, I'd much prefer a smaller lake or somewhere in the Everglades.

Beware the gators! Unless they've recently had some major gator hunting, they have more gators around Okeechobee than Reelfoot has cotton-mouths!

PcDeer

Been once while on vacation... Fished top water along lilly pads early in morning and late evening it was pretty good. Otherwise fished trick worms for the most part. It was ok but like wes parrish said not what I was expecting from all the hype.

AndyW

Thanks for the info guys. I'll tell him about the gators, although his hero is Troy Landry from Swamp People so I'm a bit worried about him. LOL

sure shot

been there twice both were guided trips in clewiston,to say the least we caught a few fish,kept 20 or so blugill on a bass fishing trip ... we also took our own boat, caught a few fish.the 2nd year caught a 2 pounder and that was the highlite need i say the 1st trip was in august the 2nd was in may seriously....i wont go back !!

Latest posts