• Help Support TNDeer:

Lake Havasu

If you go make sure you have time to see The London Bridge. While they were making the lake they cut canals to make marinas, and a super-rich guy bought the bridge (in London which was being replaced with something new) had it torn down and shipped to the site. I didn't make a special trip to view just happened to be on the way thru . Chances are that you will not lose a lot of sleep if you don't see it !

I would try to get in touch with Rob Vanderkooi. I'm not sure which lakes he guides on, and if it guides for red ear, but if he doesn't I bet he can point you in the right direction.

Rob Vanderkooi - 480-772-8460

I don't know the guy - I just listen to a podcast that he does with Josh Bertrand. Seems like a good dude who could at least help you find some info.

I would try to get in touch with Rob Vanderkooi. I'm not sure which lakes he guides on, and if it guides for red ear, but if he doesn't I bet he can point you in the right direction.

Rob Vanderkooi - 480-772-8460

I don't know the guy - I just listen to a podcast that he does with Josh Bertrand. Seems like a good dude who could at least help you find some info.
Thanks man !

White claws or high noons, have the boat loaded in no time.
Exactly! Don't know what those dudes suggestin Jack Daniels was thinking. That's a guaranteed sausage fest. No thanks.

Get them interested and over with the white claws and then hit em with some Cuervo Gold margaritas. Tequila will always seal the deal.

I would be shooting more for Jan or Feb just based off the temps. You are probably still talking 100 degrees in Sept.

It has never been on the top of my list. Okeechobee and Falcon Lake are at the top of my bucket list. I have never caught a double digit bass. I would also love to fish somewhere in MN or MI for smallmouth, pike, and walleye. I have not done that since I was a kid.

I would be shooting more for Jan or Feb just based off the temps. You are probably still talking 100 degrees in Sept.

It has never been on the top of my list. Okeechobee and Falcon Lake are at the top of my bucket list. I have never caught a double digit bass. I would also love to fish somewhere in MN or MI for smallmouth, pike, and walleye. I have not done that since I was a kid.
Okeechobee has been taken over by invasive non natives my friend . Back in the day it was the go to hole . It’s just a big sewer pit now . So much fertilizer runoff from the Kissimee river valey has it messed up . No ducks,few big bass but loaded with Myan ciclids,oscars,bowfins and talapia .
Good luck but i would look else where

Okeechobee has been taken over by invasive non natives my friend . Back in the day it was the go to hole . It’s just a big sewer pit now . So much fertilizer runoff from the Kissimee river valey has it messed up . No ducks,few big bass but loaded with Myan ciclids,oscars,bowfins and talapia .
Thats truly disappointing

Discharges from Lake O also contributes to red tide along the gulf coast.

I am seriously considering doing a trip out there.
Just for kicks and giggles I looked into SouthWest out of Nashville and picked mid-September. Looks like round trip, non-stop is $350.
Looked a little at guides and didn't find any with actual prices shown. Granted I only looked at 2.

It would be strictly for Redear.
Gonna do some more research and see if I can figure out the best time of the year to go, or if it matters.

Also, from a quick search, it looks like Las Vegas would be the closest option to fly into?
It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from there to the lake.
Dunno if any other airport, that can handle a big plane, is any closer.

Anybody be interested in going?
Just my ignorance on the matter but...why there? Can't you catch them here in the south?

Just my ignorance on the matter but...why there? Can't you catch them here in the south?
It is literally a "world class" redear fishery.
Far as I know the current world record, if it hasn't been beat, came from there.
Normal to catch 2-3 pounders.

It is literally a "world class" redear fishery.
Far as I know the current world record, if it hasn't been beat, came from there.
Normal to catch 2-3 pounders.

Gotcha. I've never actually fished for them, so I had no idea. I bet they are fun to catch on a fly rod!

Gotcha. I've never actually fished for them, so I had no idea. I bet they are fun to catch on a fly rod!
youd have to fish an intermediate line or a weighted fly. more than at havasu youd have to fish a full sinking line to get it to the bottom.

that said they will make 3-4 runs usually and with 4lb line you better have your drag set correctly. i had one probably a little over 2lbs break me off this year on ky lake. the larger shellcrackens are on barkley and 2 pound fish arent uncommon.

Went there when I was a kid fishing for them. My uncle filled to boat. I was more of an onlooker! Lol. We could literally change rods and the fish would follow him. Lol. Been many many years ago.

Last edited:
they are not usually spooky or hard to catch. finding them in any numbers year round is the challenge.

but as much as theyve been hammered on havasu lately, id bet they are spooky as all get out.

My new friend that I fished with in Idaho, winters at his place on Lake Havasu.
He leaves Idaho the second week of October. He showed me pics of the redear he catches down there.

I've already been invited to fish there with him. :p:p:p

Latest posts

Back