Ladder Stands

smyrna deer hunter

Hello all. I am coming back to deer hunting after an 8 year retirement. I am looking for a good ladder stand that wont break the bank. Having zero experience with a ladder stand, I am looking for advice from those who user them regularly. For example is there anything wrong with this type of ladder stand?

Ladder Stand

Dicks Sporting goods has this one..... Ladder#2

Since I plan on leaving them in the field and not moving them what options should I consider? I see the hang on stands but they look real uncomfortable to me and having a shooting rail is important to me.

Thanks!!

smyrna deer hunter

Pic IN the Casa said:
I'd spend the extra money on the better back rest.

Also, they looked like doubles. I'd look at Big Game models too.

What makes one better than another? Does the heavier the stand mean more sturdy on the tree?

Gravey

You will hate the Walmart one as your butt will be numb in 30 minutes and your back aching (I have one). Like Pic said look at the Big Game stands. I bought one of the 2-man versions last year on sale at Bass Pro for $169 and can sit the entire time. Its just as comfortable as a Millennium that is twice the cost. Make sure its the one with the mesh zero gravity seat. Rivers Edge has one similar at Gander Mtn. A buddy bought it and ive hunted out of it. Very comfortable too.

smyrna deer hunter

Gravey said:
You will hate the Walmart one as your butt will be numb in 30 minutes and your back aching (I have one). Like Pic said look at the Big Game stands. I bought one of the 2-man versions last year on sale at Bass Pro for $169 and can sit the entire time. Its just as comfortable as a Millennium that is twice the cost. Make sure its the one with the mesh zero gravity seat. Rivers Edge has one similar at Gander Mtn. A buddy bought it and ive hunted out of it. Very comfortable too.

How comfortable are the single man stands? Im a big guy 5 10 at 255...is there enough wiggle room?

Southpaw

[/quote]

How comfortable are the single man stands? Im a big guy 5 10 at 255...is there enough wiggle room? [/quote]

I'm 5'10 240 and I have four singles and one two man. The extra room in the two man stands is awesome. I lay my backpack, binoculars and etc in the seat beside me. I will eventually replace all of my singles with two mans.

Gravey

How comfortable are the single man stands? Im a big guy 5 10 at 255...is there enough wiggle room? [/quote]

I'm 5'10 240 and I have four singles and one two man. The extra room in the two man stands is awesome. I lay my backpack, binoculars and etc in the seat beside me. I will eventually replace all of my singles with two mans. [/quote]
I don't have a single man but as stated the extra room in a 2-man is great. I'm 5' 10" 200 and have plenty of room whether its my pack beside me or my 11-year old son.

Mr. Hawk

I have the field and stream regular model not the xl and really like it compared to the 5 big game stands I have, cheaper models. I wish I would have gotten the XL model though. The big game platinums are nice but more $. I would recommend whichever you get look at the platform size, it helps to have a larger one to put a pack, etc

smyrna deer hunter

Mr. Hawk said:
I have the field and stream regular model not the xl and really like it compared to the 5 big game stands I have, cheaper models. I wish I would have gotten the XL model though. The big game platinums are nice but more $. I would recommend whichever you get look at the platform size, it helps to have a larger one to put a pack, etc

I went with the Field and stream XL. Plenty of room. So far very happy with it.

Latest posts