Ladder Stands

drrxnupe

cecil30-30 said:
All of them

That what I was thinking until I hunted on a buddy's farm last weekend. I attempted to climb 2 of his but changed my mind. They both seemed so flimsy and weak due to rust. I'm not sure what model and how long they had been out.

Pic IN the Casa

I've had several out going on 7 years. One is a Big Game stand- it is by far my favorite. I also have the cheapo $49 dollar 17ft with seat and no side rails and also the one man WalMart ones. The only thing I do is take the seat cushions out after the season.
I have very little rust on them. I visit them a couple of times in the summer and WD-40 the locks and check/replace straps. In August I will trim shooting lanes and leave them alone until opening day.

backroads

I'm going to be in the market for a couple ladder stands for next season. I know I prefer a two person stand for the extra room. I just gotta keep my eye out for sales next year. Paying a couple hundred dollars each can get expensive when you want three of them.

Frank G

The Big Game have server us well over the years. The best surface coatings, just be sure to bring in the cusions. If they are on pine loosen the straps slightly in the off season.

caretaker

backroads said:
I'm going to be in the market for a couple ladder stands for next season. I know I prefer a two person stand for the extra room. I just gotta keep my eye out for sales next year. Paying a couple hundred dollars each can get expensive when you want three of them.

X2

scn

I buy all of my stands on clearance at the end of the season. Early in the summer I paint them all before putting them up weeks later. Painting early makes sure the paint smell is gone before putting them up. I use a base color of dark gray auto primer and then another 2-3 colors to camo.

The painting serves a couple of purposes. It definately make the stand blend into the surroundings MUCH better. And, it provides another layer or two of paint to keep the rust away. I have a couple that have been out 10+ years and haven't rusted at all.

After hearing of several very serious accidents, I also add a chain and turnbuckle to the stand.

The chain, links, turnbuckle, paint probably adds $15-18 to the cost. But, spread out over 10+ years, it doesn't amount to much.

Frank G

scn said:
I buy all of my stands on clearance at the end of the season. Early in the summer I paint them all before putting them up weeks later. Painting early makes sure the paint smell is gone before putting them up. I use a base color of dark gray auto primer and then another 2-3 colors to camo.

The painting serves a couple of purposes. It definately make the stand blend into the surroundings MUCH better. And, it provides another layer or two of paint to keep the rust away. I have a couple that have been out 10+ years and haven't rusted at all.

After hearing of several very serious accidents, I also add a chain and turnbuckle to the stand.

The chain, links, turnbuckle, paint probably adds $15-18 to the cost. But, spread out over 10+ years, it doesn't amount to much.

Same here SCN, one more item I add is second set of "quality" ratchets. Use the supplied one(s) to secure the rails to the tree and ladder brace. ;)

Florida Cracker 971

All mine are Big Game two man stands & I am still using the first one I bought 15 yrs. ago. I have never taken it out of the woods & it has even survived straight line winds that took the tree down it was in.