Knoxville area Quota Hunts?

Travis G.

I guys, I'm new to the knoxville area. Can someone recommend which WMA quota hunt would be best to apply apply for. Archery, gun, muzzleloader doesn't matter. I'm just looking for any place to go. Pros and cons would be good. Which have the highest success rate and which have the fewest people etc (I know those don't together). I see like four for oak ridge are and thats a little confusing. kingston? thanks for the help.

Diehard Hunter

Oak ridge. It is split into 3 zones, one gun zone and two different archery zones. You can apply for all of them, just put them in order of preference.

huntncoach

Other posters mentioned Chuck Swan and Oak Ridge. Been to both and think you may see more deer at Chuck Swan. Lots of other hunters though. Just my opinion.

TheLBLman

Travis G. said:
Can someone recommend which WMA quota hunt would be best to apply for. Archery, gun, muzzleloader doesn't matter.
Different ways of looking at this, including "best to apply for".

I would think you might like to be drawn for a quota hunt in an area you could also have opportunity to hunt both before and after the "special draw" hunt?

Hunting opportunities on both Oak Ridge WMA and Chuck Swan WMA are very limited compared to some others. Chuck Swan probably has the greater deer density, but the smallest deer. And about all you should plan on is a single weekend annually at either Oak Ridge or Chuck Swan.

There is zero hunting opportunity at Oak Ridge WMA other than the quota hunts (which have been known to be cancelled even after you're drawn due to national security concerns). You also have near zero opportunity to even scout where to hunt at Oak Ridge, as drawn hunters are only allowed a single day for any scouting (with that date being assigned). One issue I've had with the assigned "scouting" day for Oak Ridge hunts is that it has often meant forfeiting a "hunting" day somewhere else.

Depending on where you live around Knoxville, you may find Catoosa closer than Chuck Swan. One advantage of Catoosa is a lot more hunting days that are non-quota, and you can be drawn for at least one quota hunt annually consistently. This would give you tremendously more opportunity to learn and hunt an area you can count on to be available most of each fall's deer season. Personally, I like the wilderness "aesthetics" of the Catoosa area more than either Chuck Swan or Oak Ridge.

There is also the North Cumberland WMA which you might find as attractive (or more) as Catoosa, particularly if you live on the north side of Knoxville.

348Winchester

No, I was not kidding. If a man hunts an area wisely, he will do well. I was giving another option for public land for anyone that is looking for a place to hunt. There are ample opportunities to take deer in that area.

Diehard Hunter

BuckHunter511 said:
Must be kidding, that and Luper mtn are the hardest to get to. better off with Keys Harrison if you want statewide seasons within 10 miles or less of Catoosa.
348Winchester said:
Don't forget Mt. Roosevelt. It's right by Catoosa and open with statewide seasons.

There are thousands of acres of Mt. Roosevelt bordered by paved roads that I rarely see anyone hunting! Mt. Roosevelt is extremely accessible. Sure there are areas that get covered up with people, but anyone that can read a map can find plenty of easy to get to land with very little hunting pressure.

stik

BuckHunter511 said:
Must be kidding, that and Luper mtn are the hardest to get to. better off with Keys Harrison if you want statewide seasons within 10 miles or less of Catoosa.
348Winchester said:
Don't forget Mt. Roosevelt. It's right by Catoosa and open with statewide seasons.

MT. Roosevelt is very easy access.

Latest posts