Knight MK 85 conversion to 209 primers

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
Anyone on here ever converted a Knight MK 85 with percussion caps to the 209 primers? My gun has the plunger type of ignition system that ignites the percussion cap and I am told this will not ignite the BH 209 that I am wanting to shoot through it. If you have done this, how about hooking me up so I can convert this gun over and stop looking for another gun to shoot, All the info will be appreciated guys!

Buccaneer

http://www.knightrifles.com/209-primer- ... ion-kit-50
I converted a Knight US American Knight (USAK) using this kit and I am still kicking myself for not doing this sooner. I switched from No. 11 percussion caps to Musket caps and still had ignition problems with 777 powder. Once I converted to 209 primer ignition I am now shooting Blackhorn 209 with no problems. Use loose powder if you go to 777 and you'll have certain ignition every time you pull the trigger.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
Buccaneer-What about the plastic jackets that it also requires? Any comments on these will also be appreciated. BTW-This looks like where I am headed now that I can convert the MK to shoot the BH 209.

Killing time

Beware: i was fixing to convert to 209 so i could shoot BH powder. Until i learned BH is not for open breech MZ like our MK-85. Its dangerous. Primer and jacket pieces can blow back in your face. The website says not for use on open breech style MZL's. Read some forums about it. I changed my mind. #11's have always worked great for me, im stickin with it.

Buccaneer

Teacher - Go to Midway USA for the red primer jackets - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/436420 ... ack-of-100
On Killing Time's information he's right in using caution with the BH 209 powder. What I found was the optimum load for my USAK was 85 grains (by volume) of BH 209 and I had great accuracy out to 150 yards and no blow back. When I experimented around 100 grains I felt that perhaps it was just a tad too much.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I ordered the kit this morning from Knight and it should be here in less than a week. I have used 90 grains of Triple 7 in my Knight and plan on starting at 90 grains of BH and seeing what that does. Most of my shots are less than 60 yards so I don't need a massive load to get the job done. Appreciate all the info guys that you have given me. I looked at the Knight rifles on their website also and have decided that one of these is in my future. Forget the TC's, the Knights are just what the DR ordered. Thanks again.

Buccaneer

One more piece of advice for BH 209. Use hot primers. The 777 primers will not reliably ignite Blackhorn. I have had very good results with Winchester standard 209's and CCI Magnum 209 primers. Also the load needs to be compressed on the charge. Tight fitting sabots are the best.

BruisrBustr

After missing what would have been my biggest buck to date because of a hangfire with my MK85 I upgraded to the 209 conversion. Before researching and seeing I shouldn't, I tried 100 grains by volume of BH209, CCI primers and 250 grain Hornady SST bullets. 1 shot out of about 4 had some blow back and I decided 100 grains of BH209 by volume is a little too much. Be careful. 100 grains of BH209 is hotter than 100 grains of 777 by volume! Good luck and play with your powder loads to find that sweet spot. I

HuntingandHarleys

GaMtnCurs said:
I had a knight that shot small rifle primers, it was a conversionn that came back 10-12 years ago. The primers had to pressed in with a reloading press and they was cut-off 5.56 brass. You decapped em and re do em

Aint another soul around got this conversion cause when i ask at places all them prostaff camo jockeys just look at me like a puppy. It waa put out by knight. I bet john sloan know what im talking about. Anyway they was pretty hot fireing too never no problems. Just fumble jumble

I know exactaly what you are talking about. I have a Knight MK-85 that was converted to this years ago and I am still using it. If I am not mistaken mine uses large magnum rifle primers, I loaded up all the brass I had years ago with the primers and would have to go back and look to be 100% sure though. Mine has never failed to fire with this setup.

tpcollins

I converted my MK-85 to 209 years ago, tried to shoot BH209 and it went "bang - hang fire - no fire" in that order. Since I had bought a TC Bone Collector, I wound up selling the conversion kit and went back to #11 caps.

mjac

Central west coast of Florida, but hunt SE Tn.
209 conversion kits and 209 muzzle loader primers were introduced to provide reliable ignition of then popular, and still is I guess, pelleted black powder substitutes when it was discovered something a bit stronger than a #11 cap was needed to light off pellets.
Immediately shooters assumed this kit was all that was required to light off BH 209 powder when BH 209 powder came out and many were disappointed. 209 shotgun primers are needed for BH 209 powder AND often a different, a made for BH 209 powder, breech plug is also required.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I changed mine over to Musket Caps. They'll do the job !! Never had a misfire. I like the size easy to handle with gloves in cold weather.

Benelli 4 Life

Changed mine over to musket caps years ago when they came out. Then changed it over to the 209 with the red plastic jackets when they came out bout 6 or 7 yrs ago. This was my 22nd season huntin with the old gun

Hondo

Anyone on here ever converted a Knight MK 85 with percussion caps to the 209 primers? My gun has the plunger type of ignition system that ignites the percussion cap and I am told this will not ignite the BH 209 that I am wanting to shoot through it. If you have done this, how about hooking me up so I can convert this gun over and stop looking for another gun to shoot, All the info will be appreciated guys!
I'm selling the conversion kit #M900045 to do this on E-Bay right now (3/30/2024)! The kit is over 20 years old! If you contact me stating your converting from # 11 caps, I'll include the Hammer assembly (a $ 60+ value) that's needed to complete this conversion!

PillsburyDoughboy

About 80 grains of volume of BH209 is the sweet spot with these old plunger guns to not have to worry about blow back issues.

I've loaded more and gotten some blow back but with the right bullet you really don't need more.