Kinda funny story

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I was standing outside yesterday afternoon having a cold drink watching it rain.
It was like a nice warm Spring day actually.
I was just chillin and checked the book of face and one of the waterfowl pages I look at a guy posted and wanted to see pics of front decks people have put in 14' jon boats.
I looked at the one I installed in my boat and remembered this.

As you can see from the picture I have a V bottom boat.
It worked fine for how I fish for bream and stuff but for bass fishing it made it hard to cast to alot of places so I decided to add the deck / casting platform.

I fish for bream and redear mostly but I do enjoy bass fishing.
Well I got the deck done and on my VERY first trip I was bream fishing and catching the occasional redear.
The biggest redear I have ever caught weighed just a couple ounces over 1 3/4#
Not long after I started that day I hung a good one. I knew instantly it was a redear and it was a NICE one.
I let him run a bit and finally got him up beside the boat.
I took the risk and just swung him in and grabbed the line.
I knew better and sure enough about the time I got a good hold on the line he went female on me (went crazy) and sure enough the 4# test line snapped.
He fell straight down, as they all do when I screw up and break my line or they come off the hook.
No big deal up until this morning.

When it fell it hit me right on the instep of my foot, right where it has that "curve" where your ankle turns to your foot.
I was barefooted, as normal, and he just skidded right away from me and you guessed it right off my brand new deck and into the water. :bash:

Of course the "big ones" always get away but I am absolutely positively sure this one would have topped the 2# mark with some room to spare. :shock:

Made me madder than when I lost the biggest bass I have ever personally seen in my life. :rotf:

Just not much gunnel to block anything up there. :D

Dunno why, just thought I would share. It made me chuckle.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Southpaw":1qv9c7fy said:
So, iif you had it to do again...would you lower it a couple of inches?

Actually no, I don't think so.
If I did, knowing me, I would stump my toe on it getting out of the boat and end up swimming. :rotf:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
CritterGitter":2qqvtr4h said:
Deck looks amazing !!

Thank you sir.
I put that in as well as replaced the flooring in the entire boat.
Actually didn't replace it, when Bass Tracker installed a floor in a boat in 1985, they meant for it to be there forever.
I removed the pedestal holders, created clearance for them and added another carpeted sheet of 3/4" plywood on top of the existing one.
I only lacked replacing the carpet on 3 lid covers when I ran out :bash: :bash:

Hopefully I will find some that matches one day. :rotf:

Latest posts