Killed my first redhead today

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Well first of all I moved my truck, or tried to and ended up off the edge of my driveway, sitting on the frame.
MAN had to pull me out and that was fun. Basically had to hook to my truck and yank it sideways.

That coupled with the fact that, well we were running about 45 minutes late.
We got there and were throwing out decoys and birds were flying everywhere.

We knocked down 3 and only picked up one.
Knocked two down and I was headed to the boat to get them, another group came in and I killed one of them.
MAN went after that one and I went to the boat.
I could see them both, just out of waterswat range.
I got in the boat, cranked it, looked up and one of them was gone.
I mean gone. Dunno if it dived or flew off or what.
Chased the other one all the way across the watershed, finally cornered it and shot "at" it twice when it came up.
Never saw it again. :bash:

The entire morning was THE worst display of shooting / hitting something I have ever seen in my life.
Absolutely pathetic.
Should have killed 20+ birds. Lots of wrong but at least I did get a new species that I never really thought I would kill.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
CBU93":3m1u9guz said:
Mount that sucker!

Already in the freezer.

If duck season don't hurry up and end I am gonna go broke.
Got 3 in there now to be mounted.

Storm Widgeon
Pintail
Redhead

Got a Canvasback susie in there too but I doubt we get that one mounted... even though she would go good with my Canvasback drake I already have mounted.

Headhunter

I understand about expensive, I have just over 50 ducks mounted, it gets expensive. My favorite is one of my wood ducks. I have a little bit of everything, wish I had time to duck hunt like I used to.

Mike Belt

Do you take anything into the field with you to transport the ducks you might be interested in mounting to minimize damage to the feathers? I always carried a few pieces of panty hose to slip them into.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Mike Belt":26bl81lg said:
Do you take anything into the field with you to transport the ducks you might be interested in mounting to minimize damage to the feathers? I always carried a few pieces of panty hose to slip them into.

I don't.
When we get one like this that we want to get mounted we handle it very carefully and it rides in the front of the truck on the way home. :D

Headhunter

RUGER":2yillagb said:
Mike Belt":2yillagb said:

I don't.
When we get one like this that we want to get mounted we handle it very carefully and it rides in the front of the truck on the way home. :D

My cousin told me many would mess their ducks up by trying to put in something to protect it. I am like Ruger, a duck for the wall gets a "limousine" ride.

Mike Belt

With both ends of a piece of panty hose cut open you can run your hand through, grab the duck by the bill, and pull it through. There's no damage to the feathers and it keeps them all in place.

Latest posts