Kentucky Lake

NumberOne

Anyone noticed all the slime/muck (for lack of a better term) on Kentucky Lake? I have noticed it for the past month. Its in the creeks and on the main lake. Constantly cleaning off treble hook baits. There is one creek where I have seen it heavy in years past but its everywhere now. Good sign or bad? Its green mostly so its some kind of growth so I will take it.

WTM

blue green algae. not really algae but a bacteria from all of the rain runoff we've been having. i see it more on the east banks when it happens. didnt see any in birdsong saturday.

that stuff is nasty and toxic. maybe itll get pulled out when the water drops again, if we dont get any more rain.

NumberOne

blue green algae. not really algae but a bacteria from all of the rain runoff we've been having. i see it more on the east banks when it happens. didnt see any in birdsong saturday.

that stuff is nasty and toxic. maybe itll get pulled out when the water drops again, if we dont get any more rain.
That makes sense but we have had much less run off this year than the past 4-5 years. The lake hasn't risen over winter pool much at all. Maybe I am answering my own question. Low water, run off and warm temps without the lake rising is causing the "algae"? I was hopeful this was a good sign. Doesn't sound like it.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
We had a ton of slime/muck on the bottoms of our duck decoys and lines. Had to wash my coat and bibs twice to get it all off after we picked them all up. This was not typical algae type stuff. Reminded me a lot of the muck that would always be around the edges of the grass mats that we used to hunt and fish around on the lake. One of the pro fishermen I know on the lake thinks it's a good sign, and we'll have some of those mats back this fall or next year. I'm not holding my breath, but I will welcome its return if he's right.

WTM

hopefully its just a filementus algae type. ole Sam can wish all he wants but it blocks sunlight and no sunlight, no grass. we need a couple of years of year long droughts like we had in the 80's to grow grass.

WTM

Turkey Creek seems too be full of the green slime on the bottom..
yeah and three more days of rain will dump even more nutrient runoff.

lets just hope it doesnt die off any time soon or it will suck every bit of DO out of the water. we will be lucky if there is not a post spawn fry or fish kill this year.

Latest posts