Just gotta to tell the story again.

Carlos

Today's hunt was so awesome, I had to tell it once more, since I have time to explain it better.

Well this morning was almost perfect. I was drinking the last few sips of coffee at the truck, listening for vocalizations, when a Gobbler sounded off nearby. I grabbed my Mossberg and headed down the hill to make it across the creek and back up the next ridge before daylight broke. He kept gobbling as I made my way closer. Once I was within about 100 yards of him, I made a few soft yelps. He answered back a couple of times, and I started to get somewhat nervous. The setup I'd thrown together in haste didn't seem ideal, and as I went over everything in my head, there was one thing for sure. He was coming in fast!

I scratched in the leaves a few times, and called sparingly. Then I saw his white head at 40 yards moving to my left. He gobbled again and nearly blew the hat off my head this time. (I was about to fall apart right there.) He was within range, but there was some brush between us, and I was hoping he would move back towards the right, into an opening. After what seemed like forever, really only took 5 minutes, he eased back to the right. I watched him strutting from 35 yards, burning me down with his keen eyesight. I squinted my eyes, in the hopes that he wouldn't see me blink. I tried my best to hold the shotgun steady, but it was shaking in my hands! What was going on here? (It was like the Mossberg was electric, and I scolded myself, because I just knew I was going to miss.)

This turkey had me rattled to the core. He went in and out of strut twice and as he finally moved into the opening, I fired, still shaking like a rookie who couldn't hold it together. He went down, and I made it home to show the kiddos before they went to school. He was 20.5 lbs, with a 10.5 inch beard, and 1.25 inch spurs.

This ole bird had given me the slip several times, but it finally came together.

I sat there and tried to regain my composure, but that just wasn't happening. I thought about how blessed I was to witness such an experience, and also of how this old warrior finally slipped up. He wouldn't be there any longer to cast his thunder thru the treetops, or show off his glorious display, strutting for his Hens. It was, I must say a bittersweet moment in time, that I'll never forget.

I've only killed 2 other Gobblers, in my life, thos being my 3rd, and they were all taken at the same public land. Myself, I've imposed a (personal) 1 bird limit, because one trip like that per year is more than enough for me. Wow, what a morning, I still get tore up just telling the story for you all!

If you watch the videos, you can actually see the tremors set in. I'm usually not as shaken like this, it had to have been the coffee, right? 😁

Best of luck to you guys out there! I hope you all are fortunate enough to have a similar encounter this season.

Newt

And that is the ultimate chess game we talk about so often. You stayed consistent played your cards right waited for him to get free of hens and had that electric feeling sitting there with your back against a tree and a gobbler closing in within 30 steps! Congratulations nothing comparable to me

megalomaniac

That's what turkey hunting is all about. So many neurons firing all at once with a cascade of endorphins flooding the system that every single tenth of a second of the entire encounter is so burned into your cortex you can remember it 5 years from now like it was yesterday. I'm sure it's the same rush folks get from methamphetamine use. And I'm also sure that's why methamphetamine users get hooked after 1 hit at a slightly less rate than those who experience a turkey hunt of the quality you had this morning.

The kill was icing on the cake. The endorphin rush was the hunt itself. And a rush those cheapening the hunt reaping or shooting over bait or road hunting will never get to experience. There is no better hunting experience than besting an animal with 100x better hearing, 10x better eyesight, and 1000x better instinct for survival than ourselves. You truly accomplished something!

Loved your story, but further explain your approach and setup. When did he hit the ground and were you already set up when he was on the ground or were you still moving in? I find the actual prelude to the final moments before they break the most intriguing part of the hunt... unless they just come in blowing the woods down with gobbles... which rarely happens. :)

Thanks for taking the time to tell your story and show your enthusiasm! Not a slight to everyone else here, but I'd much rather read this than 'he came on a string and I smoked that thunder chicken in the face'.

Carlos

That's what turkey hunting is all about. So many neurons firing all at once with a cascade of endorphins flooding the system that every single tenth of a second of the entire encounter is so burned into your cortex you can remember it 5 years from now like it was yesterday. I'm sure it's the same rush folks get from methamphetamine use. And I'm also sure that's why methamphetamine users get hooked after 1 hit at a slightly less rate than those who experience a turkey hunt of the quality you had this morning.

The kill was icing on the cake. The endorphin rush was the hunt itself. And a rush those cheapening the hunt reaping or shooting over bait or road hunting will never get to experience. There is no better hunting experience than besting an animal with 100x better hearing, 10x better eyesight, and 1000x better instinct for survival than ourselves. You truly accomplished something!

Loved your story, but further explain your approach and setup. When did he hit the ground and were you already set up when he was on the ground or were you still moving in? I find the actual prelude to the final moments before they break the most intriguing part of the hunt... unless they just come in blowing the woods down with gobbles... which rarely happens. :)

Thanks for taking the time to tell your story and show your enthusiasm! Not a slight to everyone else here, but I'd much rather read this than 'he came on a string and I smoked that thunder chicken in the face'.
I'm pretty sure he was on roost when he was gobbling at first. Then, by the time I worked around him, he was on the ground. I had a hunch that he was going to head away from the food plot, because everybody pressures them in that area. So, from where I parked the truck, I circled around on the other side of the bird. This way in case he was disturbed by me driving in (and he likely was) I'd be calling him further away from the threat.

I pretty much made a big 'U' from where I started until I was all the way around him.
I'm not sure I explained that very well, haha.

Carlos

Great story,I feel like I was with you and more hunts to enjoy coming up for you.Best of luck to you in the next 3 weeks!
Thank you all very much!

I probably won't try and kill another one this season... with the challenges our resources are facing, many of them unknown, one bird is enough for me.

I could change my mind, I doubt it, but I'm going to try and help a buddy of mine get on one next week.

megalomaniac

I'm pretty sure he was on roost when he was gobbling at first. Then, by the time I worked around him, he was on the ground. I had a hunch that he was going to head away from the food plot, because everybody pressures them in that area. So, from where I parked the truck, I circled around on the other side of the bird. This way in case he was disturbed by me driving in (and he likely was) I'd be calling him further away from the threat.

I pretty much made a big 'U' from where I started until I was all the way around him.
I'm not sure I explained that very well, haha.
Makes perfect sense, and a smart move!

Carlos

That's the hunt we all dream about during the off-season.

But, your better than me, because I'm an addict. That experience would force me to try to recreate it two more times.
I gotcha.
I'm not sure my heart is healthy enough for another one of those. 😀

Have you been out on the area much this season?

Gravey

Knowing you could kill him is a win and actually doing it just tops it off. I had one yesterday at 15 yards but couldn't make myself pull the trigger on him. He's either an advance size jake or late blooming Tom. I so wanted to break the new 20-gauge in but never took the safety off. Congrats on a great hunt!

Last edited:

Carlos

No. I've been limited to weekends only so far, and I have some private land places to hunt. From the ones I I've talked to that have, it's been pretty rough sledding out there.
Yep, that's correct.
I'd been out there 5 or 6 trips already and that was the first Tom I'd laid eyes on.

Latest posts