Just curious

Mtncur76

Just curious how many hunters tag out on bucks and how soon usually. I've tagged out the day after Thanksgiving 1 during muzzleloader and 1 gun could have tagged out 1st week of muzzleloader tagged 2 8's

backyardtndeer

I like to spread it around to my wife and kids on our small farm and try to be selective, especially if I already killed one. Last time I tagged out was in 2016, killed a wide 8 on veterans day, and then killed a nice 9 in December.

vanleerbuckbuster

Tagged out last 2 years by Thanksgiving weekend. This year I've only seen one small buck while ive been in the stand. Oldest son killed a nice one first week of November. Sometimes its my year and sometimes it aint. Just thankful for the opportunity

Lost Lake

I've done it a couple of times since they lowered the limit back in the late 90's, but not often. I just don't personally know people who do on a regular basis.

Edit, and the few times I did, it was within a few days of season closing.

Last edited:

44 mag

I haven't killed a buck since 2016. I am very picky/selective and I have enough doe on my property that I can easily fill the freezer without killing a buck I am not happy with.

Remington700

I use to tag out by December every year. Now that my kids hunt I don't squeeze the trigger as much. I have more fun watching them get one. That being said, I have one more buck to go. 😂

Ski

I did last year in archery season. It's the only time I've done it. This year is looking like I won't get one at all. Still got time I guess but so far turning out to be a weird season for bucks.

megalomaniac

I've killed my buck of choice (trophy) during ML for the past decade. Whether or not I tag out with a second buck depends on whether we have a cull available. This year, we don't have any on camera or seen, so it's unlikely I will tag out . Last year, I killed my cull around Christmas. The year before, I shot my cull first and buck of choice the next day (both during ML).

That being said, I'm perfectly fine with going buckless if there isn't a decent scoring mature buck on the farms.

Hduke86

I bounce around from different properties a good bit and could normally tag out by the end of muzzleloader. These days I try to shoot one doe from each property and find at least one buck from each property and if I shoot a buck then I have a few friends that have never shot a nice buck and I'll switch gears and focus on them getting their first. I also have two younger boys that whenever they want to go that's what I do and that's my main focus. My hunting has changed over the last 5 years and I throughly enjoy helping get my friends their first. If they are dedicated enough to get up early no matter the weather and put in the time I tell them I'm always game for hunting.