Jim Shocky's American Pioneer Gold

high country

I shot a big old doe yesterday morning with my T/C super 45 encore using a 245 grain red hot made by Barnes and a 100 grains of Jim Shocky's American Pioneer Gold pellets. The shot was a hard quartering away shot at a steep angle. Bullet entered through the spine and exited out the front right shoulder. It was about a 35-yard shot and there was no tracking required. Spine was severed and right front leg shattered. Had a good entrance and exit wound the only thing about this load is getting the sabot down the barrel after the first shot, oh my gosh you had better have packed your lunch. The pellets perform very well, not as much smoke and no greasy residue like that left with some of the other powders, clean up was a breeze. Anyone else tried Shocky�s American Pioneer Gold? I think I�ll give it an �A� for performance and clean up.

ethunter

My only experience has been at the range,2 pellets and an optima pro and the unburnt pellets corkscrewed out the barrel trailing smoke 10 yds downrange. I have crushed some of the pellets but have not tried it yet and wont until this season over.

rocket04

i shot some last year and they made for easy cleaning, not sure about how much it helped the performance but i still love the 777 pellets, i think they are hotter than the pyrodex pellets but that is my opinion

b-model mack

Always, Always, use American Pioneer in loose powder. I have never had any luck with the sticks and consistant good performaces from loose powder. Just my experience but I doubt if yours will differ.

4onaside

I used American Pioneer powder(loose) and Barnes bullets last year and I had a frustrating time trying to seat the bullets. I finally threw away the powder, put away the bullets, and am now living "happily ever after" with harvester bullets and triple 7 loose powder. I no longer need my pet gorilla to help me seat this combo. And, I think that American Pioneer's advertising about infinite numbers of firings without cleaning is BS, at least in my experience it is.

Latest posts