It Was a Slaughter!

rsimms

All I can say is that I'm a REALLY glad I'm not helping Dale and Nancy Jones clean fish tonight!

The Jones came over from Coffee County to fish with me today and it was a absolute slaughter. On the very first drift we all three hooked up big cats virtually at the same instant. It was a Chinese Fire Drill! A 12 lb. blue, a 14 lb. blue and a 28 lb. blue on light tackle all at once. I was doing some shuckin' and jivin' to get the grabbers on them all. What fun!

jones_nancy_dale2.jpg

The fun continued, in spite of some fairly serious rain.

jones_nancy_dale5.jpg

The Jones were keepin' fish today. We had their one regular-sized cooler in the boat and they had another big cooler in the car. Two different times the boat cooler was filled to overflowing and we had to run back to the car of "offload." It was crazy.

jones_nancy_dale3.jpg

Later we went to chase bluegill and I fussed big time at my wife when I realized she'd taken my wax worms to feed her bluebirds last night... and didn't put them back. <grrrr>

As it turned out... it was a good thing. We resorted to jigs. The Jones actually just took up fishing a year ago, and had NEVER done anything but bait fish. Nancy had never caught a fish on an artificial lure.

She said, "I've got some in my tackle box, but I just bought 'em because they were pretty."

Lo and behold we found a Mother Lode of bull bream, rock bass, spots and a few crappie. They were ganged up in some slack water on a little 8-foot hump surrounded by deep water. Nancy got a great lesson in jig fishing, and picked it up like a pro. And to be honest, it was probably the most bull bream I've ever caught fishing jigs (w/o bait). It was a blast! With a few more miscellaneous catfish on the bottom, we filled up their THIRD cooler of fish with bluegill and rock bass.

jones_nancy_dale4.jpg

jones_nancy_dale1.jpg

We released the 28 lb. blue but all the rest went on ice today. I'm guessing they've got 200 lbs. of fish to clean tonight. But they were darn happy about it. And that means life is good and gettin' better every day.

4onaside

The sunfish on ultra light sounds like more fun to me than the cats. Less physical work, more constant action and great eating.

rutnstrut2

sounds like fun if you ever want to take a five year old and his old man just let me know we go once a year to get cats but nothing like these he would love it maybe some day soon.

Tubakka

I used to catch some nice channels and blues, along with flatheads, trolling crankbaits on lakes back in S. Illinois. Got a 40 lb blue one time trolling a crankbait shallow in the hot summer nearly 9 mph. Are there any places like that around here where they readily take artificials that you know of? There were times on crab orchard you'd hook a 8-10 pound channel cat trolling every 100 feet.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Oh gag me with a spoon.

Simms- next time you get Nancy in the boat, make her reel that thing the "left" way instead of the right way.

BTW- June 8 is the deadline. I just downloaded the entry forms. You and Gil better have some guidas going. I'm strong this year :)

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
rutnstrut2 said:
sounds like fun if you ever want to take a five year old and his old man just let me know we go once a year to get cats but nothing like these he would love it maybe some day soon.

You and your son will have the best fishing trip ever if you go with simms.
Just some fyi for ya.

rsimms

Tubakka said:
I used to catch some nice channels and blues, along with flatheads, trolling crankbaits on lakes back in S. Illinois. Got a 40 lb blue one time trolling a crankbait shallow in the hot summer nearly 9 mph. Are there any places like that around here where they readily take artificials that you know of? There were times on crab orchard you'd hook a 8-10 pound channel cat trolling every 100 feet.

Yea, there are times the blues get on bass structure. I had a buddy on Nickajack who caught three trophy-class blues, on consecutive casts with a crankbait, on Nickajack not long agao.

But typically blues are big lazy beasts who aren't going to work to hard for their food. They prefer dead meat that simply floats into their mouth. Channels and flatheads are generally much more active and aggressive. We frequently catch good channel cats while fishing bluegill beds this time of year. They love to maraud bluegill nests for the eggs.

Rackseeker

I'm glad they had a good trip. Even though I haven't been fishing with you, I recommended you to him at work. I've been wanting to bring my girls for a half a day trip just can't seem to line our schedules up. I can't believe they kept that many fish. They are probally still cleaning fish. :)

rsimms

gbee said:
I'm glad they had a good trip. Even though I haven't been fishing with you, I recommended you to him at work. I've been wanting to bring my girls for a half a day trip just can't seem to line our schedules up. I can't believe they kept that many fish. They are probally still cleaning fish.

Yea... I asked how they found me and they told me you passed my name along.

THANKS! :)

Latest posts