It really is almost over!

Huntaholic

We hear it every year, poeple saying "its OVER" in mid April and I always say its not over, Ive heard and seen birds that were killable clean up into late May/early June. Well with the flustercluck TWRA pulled by changing the dates around, folks it really is almost over! I had 7 longbeards here at the house all winter and early spring, then when breakup came along they dwindled down to just 1 or 2. Finally it got down to just 1 longbeard that lives here all the time, I can show you the exact limb he likes to roost on in my front yard. The last week or so now Im starting to see some of the old gang finally make it back home! Just now, not 5 minutes ago, I was looking at 4 of my boys that have made it through the season and are back home safe and sound.
Turkeys are like deer in the rut, except that I think they actually travel farther and stay gone from home a lot longer than a whitetail buck does. Im just glad my boys are back!
Those 7 were almost so tame that I could touch them. I feed here at the house almost year round, I DONT HUNT HERE and me feeding keeps people from asking to hunt here. Back in early March I could walk out with a gallon of corn, shake the bucket, throw the corn out, sit down on the bucket, and they would come eat within 5 yards of me. Ive got cell phone pics to prove it. I backed way off on the feeding while season was open, I didnt want them getting too tame and to get killed across the road with a bucket of corn lol.
Just some random musings from an old turkey hunter/wildlife watcher so take it for what its worth.

Last edited:
Had 2 hens in the backyard last evening. Killed a 4 bearded gobbler and a 2 bearded gobbler in the back yard last year. I have seen 3 in the field behind the house. Have decided should their boyfriends show up I'm just going to enjoy them being there. Going Saturday to try one more time. Have only heard one gobble on public this year. Well, I was on public. He was on private. Got a coupke more weeks to try and get it done!

Soft Talker

Every flock, along with everyday is different. Hens loosing nests daily, and one "needing" rebred, or a few late Jennies, is all it takes to fire them up once again on into June. The "It's over" crowd are total googans, and not to be taken seriously on any account. I will say this, season change this year is total horseshit. Real biologists of years past, had start dates set just right in The South. I will take full advantage of hunting this late last 2 weeks because it kills me not to be in the woods with an open Turkey season, Spring or Fall. There is absolutely no reason why we here in any part of the state of TN SHOULD NOT be hunting the 1rst week of April, as is no reason at all we "SHOULD" be hunting last 2 weeks of May.

Setterman

The season being open this late is idiotic. I don't believe for a second they're done, even though I haven't heard a bird gobble in TN this year for all practical purposes.

The hens in my area are ghosts which usually means they're still with the gobblers and the silence backs that up as well.

Season could've stayed the same if the damn decoys would get outlawed.

I agree with Soft Talker, the moment someone says they're done to me I immediately know I'm talking to a googan

deerfever

The season being open this late is idiotic. I don't believe for a second they're done, even though I haven't heard a bird gobble in TN this year for all practical purposes.

The hens in my area are ghosts which usually means they're still with the gobblers and the silence backs that up as well.

Season could've stayed the same if the damn decoys would get outlawed.

I agree with Soft Talker, the moment someone says they're done to me I immediately know I'm talking to a googan
Yep , take away the decoys and fans the first two weeks like Bama and you are not killing a henned up Boss gobbler if that's the worry. I would much rather hunt the first two weeks of April then last two of May. That's Just me , either way I am after them to the bitter end and losing pounds due to the humidity! Lol

Gravey

The one I killed yesterday afternoon was with 2 jakes and 2 hens. Maybe more but that's all I saw. He was spitting and drumming then would go into full strut but never gobbled. Assuming he was the same bird in that field Friday afternoon he gobbled quite a bit then so based on that they're still getting after it. This was Hickman county.

Setterman

Yep , take away the decoys and fans the first two weeks like Bama and you are not killing a henned up Boss gobbler if that's the worry. I would much rather hunt the first two weeks of April then last two of May. That's Just me , either way I am after them to the bitter end and losing pounds due to the humidity! Lol
You are absolutely correct on the first two weeks regs that would achieve the same goal.

I was slightly curious what the really late season would offer in terms of hunting. Having dipped a toe into it, it's not that much fun and the woods are quickly becoming not fun places to be for people as they shift to full summer mode

deerfever

I was on them this morning ! So I thought, went out before work and heard two . They went to each other. It was like brokeback mountain out there. I know some are bound to still want to breed a hen I just have to find them! I spent the first 3 weekends with juveniles like normal and had a great time , this late season stuff is not for the faint at heart. I am digging in!

Latest posts