Is this anything?

Specializedjon

Out walking the property with the fam on Saturday and found this thing sticking out of the mud in the creek that runs through our place. Is it anything cool or just a "spear shaped rock"? I told my 3 yr old daughter it might be an Indian spear tip, so I'll stick with that story with her if it ends up being just a plain'ol rock.

Leaning on you experts.

Attachments

• Relic.jpg
    Relic.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Relic2.jpg
    Relic2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 88
  • Relic3.jpg
    Relic3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Relic4.jpg
    Relic4.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 88

Creek

It can be pretty difficult to find artifacts still in decent shape in most creeks here in middle and east TN due to the loose hardstone rock beds. I believe what you have found appears to me to be a piece of limestone. Being found in a creek and the looks of material, the chances of being an artifact are pretty slim imo
If you see any tilled soil on a nearby knoll, then that might be a good place to check as well.
Now when you search on the west side of the TN river the soil becomes much more sandy and they find some killers in the creeks there that are in excellent shape. Maybe in your area you can look at the banks on the side of a creek where erosion has occurred exposing where once was habitation, typically layered in darker soil.
Good luck, be careful and Im far from being an expert so take my help with a grain of salt.

Specializedjon

Thank you sir. Kinda what I figured. I'll mount it on a stick for my daughter to kill dinosaurs with. I'll check the backs of our small creek (3-4' banks) and the Southfork that it feeds in to. That's got some bigger banks. It's fun to look and my daughter even at her young age has taken to it. Figured there are worse things a kid could be interested in. We're outside, enjoying God's creation and spending time together.

Latest posts