Is the good, bad, decent?

TheAirMan

This is only the second gun I've really patterned for turkey hunting. It was shooting high and right. I adjusted the sights but I think I am still hitting a little high but I am out of adjustment on the sights. I got some more sights on the way because I don't like the ones on it. Hopefully they will have more adjustment. I also have to get a big piece of cardboard or something where I can tell better what its doing. I shot a federal premium before this one with really the same results. This one was a Winchester Supreme 3" 1 3/4 oz. 6 shot @ 40 yards. Gun is a Mossberg 835 with a Kicks Gobblin' Thunder choke. I do have a box of Winchester 3.5" that I bought last year by mistake. I will probably try one of them, when I get the new sights and shoot again, to see what they do.

turkeytarget.jpg

knightrider

you really do need to use a big sheet of paper or cardboard to see what the rest of the patteren looks like , what hit your turkey paper may not be the most dense part of your patteren. hopefully the new sights will work better for you

TheAirMan

.670, it came with the gun. I know 32 in the head is plenty to get the job done. I just would like to get it to do the best it can. If the pattern was down two or three inches it would be better but I am out of adjustment.

TheAirMan

I rigged up a bigger target. I took the elevation screw completely out hoping to would let me go down a little farther. I shot the same kind of shell as above. It definitely helped. I got 42 in the turkey this time. As far as sightwise, I think I might still need to come down and left just a titch. As far as the pattern, I don't know. I know everything is good enough where its at. I would just like it real good, if that makes sense lol.

turkeytarget2.jpg

Lawrence

TheAirMan said:
.670, it came with the gun. I know 32 in the head is plenty to get the job done. I just would like to get it to do the best it can. If the pattern was down two or three inches it would be better but I am out of adjustment.

you might try a tighter choke if you are going to stick with #6
a 660 or 665 will work better

REN

thats not really bad but it looks like you are still high and right. it is fair but that gun can definitly do better.

having said that it comes down to how far you really like to shoot. If you want to go to and past 40 you may want to try some different shells or some hevi shot.

if you normally dont shoot past 40 then see what it is doing at 20 and 30 that is where you will really tell whats going on.

TheAirMan

I hunt a lot of fields. I would like to get more range if I can. I am going to get a table and set my vise up when I get the new sights. I will try a few different shells then, mostly what I already have. I may buy a box of something else to and try. I'm not going to try another choke this year. I was playing around with the pic in paint. The color boxes are all the same size. I counted 46 shot in the yellow box. The green box has 71 in it. If I can get that moved down to where the yellow box is with the new sights, that would be a lot better.

turkeytarget2boxes.jpg

REN

the new sight may help for sure. again that is not really "bad" at 40 and will kill a bird for sure.

if you do get some new shells really look to the Xtended range or Hevi13 in 6 or 7 or even the new Hevi Mag Blend.

due to price you may not want to get into those types of shells which is understandable but they do have a rebate going right now for $5 off a box which makes them somewhat affordable.

REN

CAMARO12 said:
REN said:
also if you do decide to sell your choke let me know, i have a buddy looking for a kicks for his 835.
But don't let that stop you from shooting Hevi-Shot thru that Kicks choke. I've been shooting Hevi 6's and 7's thru Kicks chokes for years and they get the job done!!!

i assume you meant to quote the other one....but yes i know plenty of people who do but you should at least know they dont recommend it.

square

Looks pretty good. Some folks like a softball size pattern at any range. I prefer an even pattern that gives me room to wiggle and not miss the 20 yard shots.

PickettSFHunter

REN said:
CAMARO12 said:
REN said:
also if you do decide to sell your choke let me know, i have a buddy looking for a kicks for his 835.
But don't let that stop you from shooting Hevi-Shot thru that Kicks choke. I've been shooting Hevi 6's and 7's thru Kicks chokes for years and they get the job done!!!

i assume you meant to quote the other one....but yes i know plenty of people who do but you should at least know they dont recommend it.

I wonder what the reason is for not recommending it? I assume they have good reason. I just bought a Kicks 680 for my 835.

Grizzly Johnson

smstone22 said:
REN said:
CAMARO12 said:
REN said:

I wonder what the reason is for not recommending it? I assume they have good reason. I just bought a Kicks 680 for my 835.

I read on old gobbler that Kicks won't publicly recommend using Hevi Shot because he has ties with Winchester. For business reasons he can't advertise using the choke with Hevi. If you talk to him personally he will tell you it will be fine to shoot hevi through a kicks choke tube...... take it how you want.

Latest posts