Is prohibiting scopes on muzzleloaders

Doskil

discriminatory? This article says so.
Such regulations have come under attack as being discriminatory, since they eliminate the opportunity for hunters who can�t see open sights well enough to achieve proper shot placement and participate in special muzzleloader seasons,� said Toby Bridges, president of the North American Muzzleloader Hunting Association. �To use a scope, other states make hunters jump through hoops by undergoing a medical examination, at their own expense, and applying for an exemption.�

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=5018

mike243

Sounds pretty reasonable to me,when i was young I wouldn't have cared,nowadays its a requirement to ck horns or see small limbs ect in the line of site.In a perfect world my bino's would work as well but in a hunting situation when seconds matter a scope cannot be beat IMO

Diehard Hunter

Frankly, I cannot shoot a rifle without a scope. The back sight is too blurry! So yes, it would preclude me from hunting if we had laws that banned scopes.

Redfred16

Glad I'm not a muzzleloader hunter, everyone has scopes on thiers in Wisconsin and I supposed I'd already have one on mine if I owned one. Most people use MZ to get past the no rifle zones in the southern part of the state.

Winchester

It all depends on how the season is listed, for example, MZ season is just that, with most anything loaded from the breech being legal, where primitive weapons season can have many more restrictions in most cases.

BSK

Diehard Hunter said:
Frankly, I cannot shoot a rifle without a scope. The back sight is too blurry! So yes, it would preclude me from hunting if we had laws that banned scopes.

Same here. I can no longer see the rear sight of open sights. Just a big blur.

Hawk

BSK said:
Diehard Hunter said:

Same for me. I try to voice my dis-pleasure with the manager of Tn. National every year. Iron sights only. Managing people instead of the resource.

BSK

Hawk said:
BSK said:
Diehard Hunter said:

Same for me. I try to voice my dis-pleasure with the manager of Tn. National every year. Iron sights only. Managing people instead of the resource.

I had no idea TN National didn't allow scopes on MZs. Guess that's why we saw one of our nice middle-aged bucks come off the Refuge during a TN National MZ hunt with one of his back legs nearly shot off.

Diehard Hunter

Hawk said:
BSK said:
Diehard Hunter said:

LOL! Want me to get after him? Baron and his wife were class mates of mine at UTK many years ago! He should understand, I am sure he can't see any better then the rest of us in the over 40 crowd!

BirdDog123

I believe it is also unethical. As hunters, we have a responsibility to kill our game as quickly and humanely as possible. Why would a government agency try to hinder that? IMO it goes against their intentions.

cecil30-30

BirdDog123 said:
I believe it is also unethical. As hunters, we have a responsibility to kill our game as quickly and humanely as possible. Why would a government agency try to hinder that? IMO it goes against their intentions.
They already do that with archery season..

brmaster

it would go against the handicap rules,,,,not having good vision can be considered a handicap, thus, the reason I must wear glass to focus on anything up close,
with that handicap I cant focus on the standard gun sites, as they blur in my vision.

deerhunter10

scopes are needed I think, why put people with issues with their eyes in the situation? we shouldn't. and its safer to. and it puts the animal at risk also. if you don't want a scope don't put one on there and safe some money but I don't think they should make you shoot iron sights.

WRbowhunter

Since we have Muzzleloader season I don't see this as an issue. However if we called it Primative weapon well I can see the point in not allowing scopes.

Diehard Hunter

Doskil said:
Good points.

If you can't see well how can you use a gun or bow with iron sights?

We don't. I have scopes on everything, including my crossbow. It really sucks being able to see just fine at a distance, but having to have glasses on to see anything within arms reach. Then, if you have reading glasses on, everything at a distance is blurry.

MUP

I have to agree with the "not being able to see the open sights" bit these days. Since 2010, I have finally had to use a scope on my ML's. Just gettin' too blurry to make a good shot anymore.

Dang, just read the previous post/quote. I CAN see out to 30 yds, which is the max distance I will shoot my bow at a deer...it's the 50+ yd shots that I need the magnification on.

Latest posts