Smokeless Iowa 2021

Smokeless

Roost 1

A friend invited me up to Iowa for the first shotgun/mzl season, 5 day season.
Started out with warm weather, highs in 60s lows in upper 30s, not much deer movement.
Cold front came in Sunday night temps dropped to highs in low 30s, lows in the teens. 20-35mph wind everyday, it was about as cold as I could stand. We were stand/blind hunting, no fancy deer house LOL!
Deer were strictly on a feeding pattern, no rut activity at all.
We were walking 1/2 mile thru a huge cornfield, surrounded by thick timber, brushy fields, and CRP to a very secluded back section.
Really didn't see that many deer, and only a few bucks. Didn't see any bucks on Tuesday.
Last day, Wednesday, about 4.30 deer started piling out of the CRP into the farthest part of the field that we could see, probably 800yards away. We saw close to 60 deer, several small bucks and 2 decent ones. In a last ditch effort we decided to make a move to close the distance as they were not heading our way. We had some terrain features to use to our advantage plus a favorable wind. We were able to cut the distance to 400yds before we ran out of terrain. As luck would have it the bucks were feeding our way. At the very last minute one of the bigger bucks was roughly 200yds and turned broadside, with my SML rested on my knee I took the shot. I heard the bullet impact but lost him in the scope. I told my buddy I hit him, heard the bullet impact. He's watching thru binos and says, "he's still walking". I get back on my scope in time to see the buck rare up and fall over backwards. Didn't go 20 as the saying goes!!! LOL
Had a great time on my first Iowa deer hunt, met a lot of very nice people, and saw what is probably the finest deer hunting habitat I've ever seen.
Sorry for the long post but I hope y'all enjoy the story.

Attachments

• 8450B9D4-5CB6-4A82-8834-B75EEE12DB13.jpeg
    8450B9D4-5CB6-4A82-8834-B75EEE12DB13.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

Chiflyguy

A friend invited me up to Iowa for the first shotgun/mzl season, 5 day season.
Started out with warm weather, highs in 60s lows in upper 30s, not much deer movement.
Cold front came in Sunday night temps dropped to highs in low 30s, lows in the teens. 20-35mph wind everyday, it was about as cold as I could stand. We were stand/blind hunting, no fancy deer house LOL!
Deer were strictly on a feeding pattern, no rut activity at all.
We were walking 1/2 mile thru a huge cornfield, surrounded by thick timber, brushy fields, and CRP to a very secluded back section.
Really didn't see that many deer, and only a few bucks. Didn't see any bucks on Tuesday.
Last day, Wednesday, about 4.30 deer started piling out of the CRP into the farthest part of the field that we could see, probably 800yards away. We saw close to 60 deer, several small bucks and 2 decent ones. In a last ditch effort we decided to make a move to close the distance as they were not heading our way. We had some terrain features to use to our advantage plus a favorable wind. We were able to cut the distance to 400yds before we ran out of terrain. As luck would have it the bucks were feeding our way. At the very last minute one of the bigger bucks was roughly 200yds and turned broadside, with my SML rested on my knee I took the shot. I heard the bullet impact but lost him in the scope. I told my buddy I hit him, heard the bullet impact. He's watching thru binos and says, "he's still walking". I get back on my scope in time to see the buck rare up and fall over backwards. Didn't go 20 as the saying goes!!! LOL
Had a great time on my first Iowa deer hunt, met a lot of very nice people, and saw what is probably the finest deer hunting habitat I've ever seen. No wonder Iowa is called the "Land of the Giants".
Sorry for the long post but I hope y'all enjoy the story.
Wow nice deer.
Warm weather in Illinois didn't help me.

nwsg76

Remove this post or it will add another year to the draw odds...lol
Just kidding.
Once you hunt iowa you then understand how important habitat quality and deer age structure really is. Then you really understand when those two can create something special when combined with no firearms during the rut.
Congrats on a iowa buck!

iowavf

Congrats. Little warmer than I'd like it too and windy. I shot a nice 8 Saturday mid day on the trail of a hot doe, late rut action you usually will see during 1st shotgun. I sat in my brother's blind Tuesday afternoon where he say a big 10 Sunday but he doesn't like to shoot big older bucks, just doe for meat, I saw the big 10 about 150 yards at 5:10pm but decided to pass since I already shot a good buck hoping he would stick around and spread some genes. Hope you make the trip again someday.

Latest posts