Interested In TN Deer Hunting

CJM1284

New poster, and I live in the Northwest corner of AL about 30 mins from the TN state line. To put it quite frankly, my deer hunting experience in this part of the state over the last 5 years has been miserable. Tired of the ridiculously liberal hunting season and harvest laws, the outlaw hunters, the over-hunted and over-pressured deer, and decreasing deer population on the land I am able to hunt here.

I may be guilty of thinking the grass is greener across the state line, so to speak, but it sure seems like TN has done a much better job of managing it's deer herd and provides a much better opportunity to harvest a deer than my state has done. Almost all my friends who hunt and consistently see deer and harvest a quality buck every year hunt in TN.

So with all that being said, can any of you provide insight or advice on what the deer hunting is like in the southern part of what y'all call Unit L? Any good public lands to hunt? What is the process of being able to hunt deer in TN for a non-resident? Is it worth the money, time, etc compared to hunting here in Alabama? How to possibly find a club to get into?

CJM1284

ZachMarkus":nid97j5t said:
CJM1284":nid97j5t said:
I live in Tuscumbia.
I know that area well, I'm just across the state line from you in Lawrence county. The hunting up here is pretty good but if I were you I would try to find a place in Wayne county to hunt. If you're wanting to try public land check out eagle creek WMA, it's 22,000 acres and some really nice bucks come off of it every year. Giles county has a lot of deer and some nice bucks but the lease prices are outrageous and its dang near impossible to find a place to hunt.

Cool thanks for those tips. The out of state hunting license alone is roughly what I've been paying for the club I have been in here in Alabama so I think I would probably want to ease my way in financially speaking by hunting public land first, unless a good opportunity for private land came up somewhere.

Vermin93

The $305 nonresident license gets you all the deer seasons AND the spring and fall turkey seasons AND small game. It's a good deal. Keep in mind you will most likely also need to buy the type 094 license for $25.

huntforme7909

ZachMarkus":23fwydlw said:
CJM1284":23fwydlw said:
I live in Tuscumbia.
I know that area well, I'm just across the state line from you in Lawrence county. The hunting up here is pretty good but if I were you I would try to find a place in Wayne county to hunt. If you're wanting to try public land check out eagle creek WMA, it's 22,000 acres and some really nice bucks come off of it every year. Giles county has a lot of deer and some nice bucks but the lease prices are outrageous and its dang near impossible to find a place to hunt.

I am or may be speaking a little loosely being from the eastern part of Tennessee but I have been on a lease or two in wayne county.....compared to east tn the deer populations there are great...and ive never been down there that I haven't saw several deer and killed several as well...some of my good friends still have leases there and I go with them as a guest from time to time and I always love it.....I do know that there are a couple paper companies or such that have really big hunting lease oppurtunities but I don't know enough about them to lead you in the right direction....but maybe others can help you more....

CJM1284

Thanks to all for the information. This has been the worst deer season in my 20 years of hunting North Alabama that I have ever seen. This is the only season that I can remember in my hunting life in which I have not seen a single deer from the stand. Not an exaggeration at all, not 1 single deer. It's been trending bad for the last 5, and I've just about decided if I'm going to spend my time and money chasing these fool creatures I might as well give myself the best opportunity available.

I know that some of you TN hunters wish they would increase the buck limit, but trust me when I say whomever y'all have running your Wildlife Dept is doing a much better job at providing good hunting opportunities to your state than Alabama is. I'm convinced there is no harder deer hunting than in Alabama, largely in part due to the DCNR catering too much to the hunter and not enough to the wildlife to ensure good hunting opportunities.

Headhunter

don't come to Tennessee. we had great deer hunting til this past season. the buck limit was dropped from 3 to 2 and now the state only has trophy hunters, everyone looks down on all buck kills unless it is a boone and crockett, I believe it is illegal to kill a buck under 170" and he better not be under 4-1/2 years old. LOL.

Not really. But if you read enough on here that is what you might think.

Lots of deer, quite a bit of public land and great hunting IMO.

CJM1284

Headhunter":15po8jfa said:
don't come to Tennessee. we had great deer hunting til this past season. the buck limit was dropped from 3 to 2 and now the state only has trophy hunters, everyone looks down on all buck kills unless it is a boone and crockett, I believe it is illegal to kill a buck under 170" and he better not be under 4-1/2 years old. LOL.

Not really. But if you read enough on here that is what you might think.

Lots of deer, quite a bit of public land and great hunting IMO.

LOL, I'll take that compared to the "if it's brown it's down" mentality of most hunters in Alabama.

Latest posts