Installed a "Silent Rider" muffler

BlackBelt

I've been seeing the Benz Silent Rider muffler advertised, and finally decided to give it a try. The manufacturer claims that it cuts the noise of your ATV up to 60%, with little to no backflow pressure into the engine (max 2%). I was looking for something to get me into the woods a little quieter than my stock Honda Foreman 450, but didn't want the expense or weight of an electric ATV/UTV.
I'm glad to report that the muffler works as advertised, with at LEAST a 60% reduction in noise. You don't hear anything coming out of the exhaust at all. None of the "pum, pum, pum, pum.." that the stock muffler was putting out. It's more like, "fff, fff, fff, fff...". The only noise you can hear from 30 feet away is the engine running, and it's not loud at all. If there is a 5 mph breeze blowing, you hardly hear that. I imagine with the larger ATV's, 600's and up, there would be more engine noise.
Anyway, just my experience.

coyote170

Have been useing one for three years now and it has never fouled a plug yet!Super quiet and is great in the woods!

BlackBelt

Cost for the various manufacturers are all about $150-160, give or take. Some I don't know about may be a little higher if you buy at retail. (I went ahead and bought from the manufacturer because they have some sort of buy-back guarantee for 90 days if you don't like it. It cost me an extra few bucks to buy from them, but the guarantee was worth it, IMO)
Online shopping will knock $10 to $40 off of the retail price.
Somebody here might have a better (cheaper) source.

BTW, I ran my ATV for 4 hours yesterday hard with the Silent Rider muffler. Didn't experience any problems, just lot's of quiet riding.
Several time I got off and walked off about 50 feet or so to see if I could hear it running. I could, but just barely. Of course I wasn't on the throttle, which would amp up the noise level a little bit.
Still, it's SO much quieter than with the stock muffler. I think it's a good investment for hunters.

BlackBelt

beerslayer40 said:
Do they make one for a Rhino?.....do you have a link?

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------
Yeah, they make one for the yamaha Rhino 660/450/700. I think those come with a free adaptor also. I know some of the Yamaha's require a slight modification to allow use of any type of extra muffler, but it depends on what model it is as to whether you need it or not.
There are several places to get them, but you might do a little research at the distributors website. Google 'Benz Silent Rider' and that should get you there pronto, as well as give you several other sources if you want to buy it at discount.

Deer Whisperer

I just bought mine from e-bay for $139.99 + $15 shipping. Should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works.

From what I understand, there should only be back pressure at high RPM's. If this thing can foul plugs, I bet it would be on an engine that is constantly running at high RPM's. For us that are cruising through the woods, this shouldn't be a problem. I hope I'm right, but I've been wrong before.

BlackBelt

with a maximum of 2% backflow pressure, I don't see how it would really foul the plugs a whole lot, especially if you changed that plug out every once in awhile. Maybe a little, but so slight that it would not be enough to worry about.
On the Honda model, you can take it off in about a minute or two. If you were just joy riding, and not trying to be stealthy, you could just unsnap the thing from your stock muffler. Then, it's a one or two minute job to re-install it (two bolts).

I spent 5 hours riding through the woods yesterday with no problems at all with the Silent Rider attached. Several times I got off and walked over about 50 or 60 feet to see if I could hear it. I couldn't hear the exhaust, but I could just barely hear the engine running (quietly), and I could barely hear when the oil cooling fan came on. But nothing out of the tailpipe!
Awesome for hunting!

Deer Whisperer

Well, I installed mine last night. My wife, best friend, and I took turns riding my 350 Rancher around the yard. It is as quiet as BlackBelt says it is. My engine is pretty quiet, but it now makes more noise than the exhaust.
If anyone wants to come by and check it out, just PM me for my address.