Indian Reservation in SD

megalomaniac

Birds are spotty... some areas with a decent population, others with zero birds. Success or failure will depend on your Indian guide getting you into an area that actually has birds.

woodsman04

I have. It's fun. Find a guide that knows the birds and you will be fine. Creek and river bottoms was where we found most of ours.

But the turkeys will get further away from their Roost than you think.

hard county

I'm heading to rosebud this year as well in April. I'd be glad to send you info after our hunt to let you know what the birds did.

chrmayo

Dad went to one 2 years ago and his guide was lance christionson or something along those lines. He said he was ok to use. Not great but ok. Not sure if it's the same reservation or not.

hard county

Just booked dates to go in May.

Anybody been?
What to expect?
Advice?
They're just starting to break into smaller groups there.

My 6 man group all filled our tags but over half of our birds were spot and stalk.

If it's windy, you need to be on top of them to hear your call and it's hard to hear them gobble.

Binos are an absolute must for this place and some shoes that you feel comfortable walking 10-15 miles a day in are also a good idea.

Levee Jumper

My 6 man group all filled our tags but over half of our birds were spot and stalk.

If it's windy, you need to be on top of them to hear your call and it's hard to hear them gobble.

Binos are an absolute must for this place and some shoes that you feel comfortable walking 10-15 miles a day in are also a good idea.
Congrats on the success and I'm sure the scenery was beautiful, but I can not image driving to South Dakota to spot and stalk turkeys.

762hunter

That's good to hear. Glad y'all were successful.

hard county

Congrats on the success and I'm sure the scenery was beautiful, but I can not image driving to South Dakota to spot and stalk turkeys.
I know what you mean. Fooling the birds into coming in because you made them think you're a turkey is a different accomplishment. I am a serious duck hunter and I don't think stalking up on a pond is the same thing as calling them in.

That said, when I go out of state to hunt I hope things are different there than where I came from. Otherwise why go?

Merriams in that country are a different ball game. It feels more like an elk hunt than an eastern turkey hunt. I killed one of my birds calling off roost, one stalked, if I'm honest I'll remember the stalk longer than the called bird just because it was so different from my previous turkey hunting experiences.

Safari Hunt

Make sure you have taken a Hunter Education course. Reservations and military reservations are said to require it. Check to be sure. Hate for you to get there and be denied a hunt.

prstide

Make sure you have taken a Hunter Education course. Reservations and military reservations are said to require it. Check to be sure. Hate for you to get there and be denied a hunt.
So does the State of TN if you were born after January 1, 1969. Almost everyone on the site, except for super old people(🤭), should already have it.

Latest posts