Inches between rows/inches between plants

gil1

I don't get it. Please explain why these numbers would be different from each other. I was looking at carrots, for instance.

Planting Guide

It says 14 to 36 inches between rows. Well, that's a heckuva big difference. How would I know which to use?

It says to plant the carrots 2 to 3 inches apart. Fine, but I don't understand why the rows should be as much as 3 feet apart while the plants should be as little as 2 inches apart. What the heck is the difference?

I thought a row was how far apart the plants are planted. What am I missing here? I appreciate your patience with my stupidity.

Rowdy

I always thought a row was the line each was planted on.

I think what they're saying, is 2-3 in. apart down each row, with 2-3 ft between rows.

gil1

Rowdy said:

I think what they're saying, is 2-3 in. apart down each row, with 2-3 ft between rows.

I interpret it that way, too. I just don't understand it. Why would it be okay for a carrot plant to be 2 inches away from another carrot plant in one direction, but it must be 3 feet away from another carrot plant in a different direction. It makes no sense. I must be missing something obvious.

Can somebody explain what I'm missing?

Rowdy

gil1 said:
Rowdy said:

I interpret it that way, too. I just don't understand it. Why would it be okay for a carrot plant to be 2 inches away from another carrot plant in one direction, but it must be 3 feet away from another carrot plant in a different direction. It makes no sense. I must be missing something obvious.

Can somebody explain what I'm missing?
Only thing I can think of is to allow you some walking room between rows, sos not to trample plants. :)

spoon

I allow 12 to 18 inches between rows for walking and picking.

When planting for plants, I want the leaves to touch each other for weed / grass control. Try to keep sun light off of bare ground

catman529

Depends on the plant of course, but there is room for variation. More room for more accessibility and more room to grow, or less room for as much produce as you can fit in a smaller space.

I like to get my tomatoes as close together without crowding, and for me that's about 18 inches between plants and 4 feet between rows with a stake every 2 plants down the rows and florida weave for support.

WTM

depends on the plant, and of course some garden plants can either be beneficial or aggravate each other.

when we had a couple acres of garden and truck patch, we spaced the rows enough to run tillers down the rows. in my small garden, the only thing i give a little more room is cukes and squash.

gil1

I asked a veggie farmer. She said that the "row" space is just to give you room to plow or cultivate or weed or whatever. In my case, I have just one long, skinny bed where I can weed from the sides, so I don't need to worry about row spacing. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks.

WTM

gil1 said:
I asked a veggie farmer. She said that the "row" space is just to give you room to plow or cultivate or weed or whatever. In my case, I have just one long, skinny bed where I can weed from the sides, so I don't need to worry about row spacing. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks.

yep, thats what we called "plowing the middles". i use touchdown now so i dont worry about the weeds.

gil1

WTM said:
gil1 said:

yep, thats what we called "plowing the middles". i use touchdown now so i dont worry about the weeds.

So what is "touchdown?"

WTM

gil1 said:
WTM said:
gil1 said:

So what is "touchdown?"

its a weed killer that a lot of vegetable, and grain farmers are using. you see a lot of garden clubs using it too. cheaper than roundup and doesnt contain the inert compound that roundup has that can be absorbed by plants. will all the corn consumed daily, im not worried with roundup but touchdown is cheaper.

gil1

WTM said:
gil1 said:
WTM said:
gil1 said:

So what is "touchdown?"

Interesting. Thanks.

its a weed killer that a lot of vegetable, and grain farmers are using. you see a lot of garden clubs using it too. cheaper than roundup and doesnt contain the inert compound that roundup has that can be absorbed by plants. will all the corn consumed daily, im not worried with roundup but touchdown is cheaper.

Boone 58

my tiller has 16" width on the cutters. therefore i set my planter at 20" to give 2" on either side of the tiller wheels to allow me to dig a few times before the plants get up too large. :)

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
gil1 said:
16 per sq ft will work Gil. If you like tender baby carrots raw in a salad plant them alittle closer then thin out some baby's as they grow.
http://www.essene.com/Vegetarian/PlantS ... Garden.htm

mr.big

i plant my rows 42 inches apart, I plant stuff close in the row and then after I see what kind of stand I get,,

the 42 inch rows are so I can plow with tractor,,any other width and you will run over the row beside the one you are plowing

Latest posts