If you could do it all over again....

AT Hiker

What would you tell a younger you? Mainly Western hunting.

Me, one of many things would be...."just do it, and do it as soon and as much as you can. You will never get enough of it".

This Thoreau quote got me thinking about this.
"The tops of mountains are among the unfinished parts of the globe, whither it is a slight insult to the gods to climb and pry into their secrets, and try their effect on our humanity. Only daring and insolent men, perchance, go there."

Specializedjon

Not related to hunting....

1. Don't get married so soon, live a little, grow up more
2. 40 isn't old. You'll still be alive
3. Seek wise counsel when making big decisions
4. Talk less, listen more

Those 4 would have prevented a lot of early heartache. God carried me through a lot in my early days, and still does.

moondawg

Disregard the women and follow your hobbies more. Hunt, fish, camp, hike and. (for me) play music more.

Take risks.

Don't follow the trendy crowd. Don't be afraid to be your own person and like what you like. Don't worry about trying to impress others.

Travel...ANYWHERE. Visit as many state parks, monuments, lakes, rivers, and beaches as you can.

Last edited:

JN

Lol I was given the advice of don't chase the girls when I was younger. Actually listened to it and left that for the summer months once deer season hit I was a single man. I made the comment to my wife when we first started dating that I must really like her because she was the first one to make it through deer season.

I would like to have told myself to do more saltwater fly fishing and go hunting out west but the main reason I didn't do those when I was young and had more time was because I didn't have the money to do them.

Hduke86

Don't get caught up in working so dang much.
Find a few good friends that are 110% trustworthy
Happiness is not in material things
And definitely go get lost in the mountains more often.

I've got friends that I would die for and they would for me. I'm completely happy with what God has seen fit to provide for me and it's a blessing for sure. I've been lost more than I care to admit in the mountains all over the west and Alaska. Some on purpose some not on purpose.

True story of what I'm dealing with on two fronts. First I take care of my elderly neighbor. Has EVERYTHING a person could ask for or want. He was so busy acquiring material and financial gain that his wife and him decided children got in the way. Well flash forward to now. She's been gone 2 years and has ZERO family that care for him besides what he will leave them (or what they are banking on) lol jokes on them in the end. His mind is gone from dementia and he's act up with cancer so what was the point in the grand scheme of things when you can't remember what you have.

Secondly, we just lost our closest friend two nights ago. Wonderful woman, Godly woman and she wanted nothing more to see her children grow up. They are 13 and 10 leaves behind a great husband. Just devastating and heartbreaking. All at the ripe old age of 40. You think you have time to do things in the future but that's not promised. Do it now, love on your loved ones, go on those trips, get lost on adventures. Be thankful for what you have and where you are in life cause I promise you. It could be 10x WORSE.

tellico4x4

Growing up reading Jack O'Conner & watching Curt Gowdy on tv I got hooked early. Graduated highschool in 72, college in 77 & first western hunt in 1980. It was a drop camp mule deer hunt in Craig, Colorado on a private ranch & I think it cost $300. Didn't kill but got introduced to a wall tent, sheepherders stove, aspens & heard my first elk bugle. Definitely hooked now! Forty two years later and 28 western hunts under my belt I am still hooked. Only real regret is that I never did a full blown two week trip into the Thorofare of WY.

Headed to NW South Dakota in November this fall with a younger guy that is hooked too. Shared my Co elk bow spot with him 3 years ago as it's just too tough a hunt anymore for this old man. Really looking forward to sharing some time in WY with two grandsons in next few years. Given the current nonresident situation in WY & grandsons age it's time start cashing in all the points we've been building for years.

My advice is to just do it, where there's a will there's a way!

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I regret not buying land when I was younger. I had a chance to buy a farm I was hunting in 1998 for 1k acre (which was very high then). Farm 1/2 down the road just sold for 3k acre. I also regret spending money on stupid stuff instead of investing it into things that would have helped me now I'm 45. Money I wasted, I could have bought 2 more farms by now.

Wish I would have went West to hunt. Never been and not sure I can go now.

I also wish I would have been more willing to change jobs or move away for better jobs. I worked for the same company for 14.5 years after college, when wife became a stay at home mom 8 years ago, we lost 50% of our income. I went looking for better jobs the next year cause of 4 years of 1% or less raise. I quickly found 2 engineering jobs paying me 20k more to start. I've changed jobs 2 more times since then, each getting a pay raise. Our income is now more with just me working than it was when we both were working.

Shanman

Move to Alaska right out of high school, you'll be ok and have a ball. Home will always be home and you can always come back, do it while you're young and healthy. Leave the booze and women alone, live life and now that when the time is right.....things come together for the better.
OK, I've got to stop regretting my early years. 😢
I fell for your trap AT.... 😆

41Magnum

Not related to hunting....

1. Don't get married so soon, live a little, grow up more
2. 40 isn't old. You'll still be alive
3. Seek wise counsel when making big decisions
4. Talk less, listen more

Those 4 would have prevented a lot of early heartache. God carried me through a lot in my early days, and still does.
This for me as well🤔

fairchaser

Most of us southern hunters wished we could have hunted more in the West or other exotic locales. I was fortunate and traveled to hunt in Canada 5 times, Iowa 15 times plus a few other places including Idaho and New Mexico. I've been trying for two years to hunt moose in Newfoundland. Lord willing I will go this fall. No regrets as I've been been able to hunt in some nice places. At 65, I've realized how blessed I've been. God taught me something on each of those trips. If I had any advice to my younger self it would be to listen to God more. He's not that impressed with my trophy wall but he does love me more than I can imagine.