ID anyone?

Dbllunger

So a patient brought this by my office today and said he found it in the Murfreesboro area along a creek buried between two rocks. Honestly my first thought was that it was a reproduction because it was simply too perfect and too "clean". Don't think this guy is bs'ing me about it but who knows. He was curious as to the type and rough time period. Told him I would post it up for some folks I knew. So what are your thoughts? Real or repro? type?

20230913_161218.jpg
20230913_161210.jpg

DoubleRidge

Not sure on the type? But if it was in the dirt between two rocks maybe it was up on the creek bank and not down in the water?...so maybe this is why it doesnt have any water wear or patina? And most of the really nice reproduction pieces I've seen are perfect in every way...this piece is nice but you can see a couple of small chips and a large flake on one side. If I found this on a creek bank i would be thrilled....but with all that said....while I have collected a few points over the years, I'm no expert...hopefully someone with more experience will comment.....nice point.

Last edited:

Tennrock

Flaking just does not look correct, but only way to know for sure is to see it in person. But then again, it appears to have had a re-sharpening and fakers usually do not do that. The type of material makes it a hard call also.

Dbllunger

Another question....what would be his motive for presenting you a fake? Is he wanting you to buy it? Or is he just wanting to learn more about it?
I don't think he is really interested in selling as far as I know but he does know that I have a collection of them that I have found over the years that he has seen in my office and maybe just wanted to impress me?? I don't really think that's the case though and it probably is authentic. He did ask about value and I simply told him I have no idea whatsoever. I don't buy or sell any artifacts. The ones I have are the ones I found and I would never sell any of them.
I only posses one that I didn't find.

This one was given to me by a friend and he told me it was a reproduction. Only non find/fake I have.
20230914_102211.jpg

XCR-2

Also looks to be made out of the exact material your fake one is made out of. I smell something going on here 😂

Latest posts