Ice fishing trip

jakeway

I spent the last 10 days up in Michigan visiting relatives. Since I was missing the last of the deer season, I decided to get my annual fix on ice fishing.

The ice was slick and crystal clear where it wasn't covered with snow. In places we could see the tops of weeds 10 feet down.

AndyDaveKristin.jpg

The sunrise was awesome.

SunriseonRose.jpg

My brother with a nice eater:

BillPike2.jpg

Billspike.jpg

Six eaters we took home. Pike are known as being boney, but if you know the simple trick of filleting out the Y bone, they are some of the sweetest fish around.

SixEaters.jpg

My youngest brother fished a different lake a few miles away. Good choice on his part, as he caught this 38" dandy:

Mikewithdandy.jpg

If you've never used or seen someone use a Tip Up, click on this last picture to see the video:

jakeway

CATCHDAWG said:
That's cool! Catch any yellow perch?

No perch. My nephew had an underwaterTV camera and we never saw any panfish. He did have three walleyes swim up together and check out the pike minnow he was jigging, but he couldn't entice one to bite. He caught two small pike doing that, though. (You can see the video camera in the first photo above.)

waynesworld

We had the same idea up in SD for the holidays I got to go out 4 days the first two we slammed the walleye then we took all the kids to a lake know for northern pike and perch and they had a blast with them. but the last day we only caught one perch. The pike up there are rarely kept as people do not like dealing with the slime and extra work on the bones. I wanted to keep them so we did and gave them to my ex-wife.

Jake did you all have any of the new magnetic pop ups? I used those this year and they were great.

Latest posts