I took a nice 10 pt last year

Arkitekt4040

at1qU.jpg

5OJI2.jpg

Opening day of rifle season last year. It was 11:30 in the morning and I had yet to see anything. I was waiting on everyone to walk out before I headed to the truck. The main road to walk out to the trucks runs about 250 yards from my stand and I had sat in the tree that late hoping that someone walking out would push something from the field into the woods toward me. I was minutes from climbing down when I saw a doe walking towards me at about 75-80 yards. Trailing right behind her was, what I thought at the time, a decent 6-8 point buck. I am a meat hunter. I will shoot does all day long so I can fill my freezer. I have only killed one buck before this one, and the only reason I took him was because it was my first bow kill. I spent 15-20 minutes watching this doe feed and I could never get a clean shot on her. The buck wandered close and I finally got a good look at him. He is the best deer I had ever seen in the woods so I took a 50-60 yard shot and down he went. I didn't want a full head mount so we decided to do a European Mount ourselves. It turned out great. Here is an album of the mounting process:
http://imgur.com/a/FKAV5

Arkitekt4040

Football Hunter said:
like the dark horns
I like them too. And it is kind of odd. We have had 5 BIG deer (8 pt or bigger) taken off of my lease in the last 3 years and each one had the dark antlers. Must be the genetics in that area. We see tons of young bucks with typical bright yellow/white antlers but never any young ones with the dark ones.

in the dog house

Very nice deer and mount!! The deer on the spot I hunt in Haywood Co. seem to have dark horns. Its bottom land. IDK might have something to do with it.