I hate where I live

megalomaniac

Rut is just now entering full swing here in south MS. I joined a club this year 15 min from the house to have a place nearby to scratch the itch. This is my 6th hunt so far, only seen deer on 1 hunt. Very low deer densities and 5 to 15 yo pine plantations make for some tough hunting.

A good friend was able to take this buck at 1145 this am working a scrape line in the woods. He's 4.5, but our soils don't let many deer grow big racks. Maybe this afternoon I'll kill my first buck ever in south MS :)
8ee15d1c9b6b9f850c3407e744d27dae.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

For several years I hunted around Ackerman. They had a late rut also and all the countryside was in pines. There were some big deer in there so don't give up on them.

csi-tech

Ms. was starting to produce big deer a few years ago. Alot of people, maybe even on this board would love to trade a rut hunt or two here for a post-season opportunity down there.

Bone Collector

Nice Buck!

My MIL lives outside Biloxi and I have been through the area down there even an hour or so north of there, on back roads and I have never seen a deer. Now we go down in the summer, but I figured they had real low densities that close to the coast and nothing there but pine and sandy soil, so yeah I doubt the deer will grow huge racks.

gtk

Staff member
I dislike this time of year for deer hunting as well. Our rut in North MS is over, and its just getting cranked up good a little further south. Some good deer showing up on the MS pages on FB

megalomaniac

I ended up seeing what might have been a deer 2 or 3 minutes after legal shooting light slipping across the grown up powerline I was set on. 250 yds away, could have been a dog or coyote as well :)

Friends buck ended up being 205lbs.... that's so far off the growth chart for south Mississippi it's unreal (would be equivalent to a 275lb delta buck). 5.5 in base on one side and 5.25 on the other. Scored 107" He should have the jawbone to me next week, I wouldn't be surprised if this deer was older than 4.5

megalomaniac

Oh, and yes, it is nice to chase the rut. I only hunt when the rut is on (except for kids hunt during Juvie)...
hunted TN hard Nov 12-22
back to TN for 2nd rut Dec 15th
hunted last weekend in Starkville, MS (tail end of rut)
now hunting here locally for next 2 weeks for our peak rut.

Latest posts