Hunting using mountain bike-Cheatham

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbird13

Does anyone know the regulations for using a mountain bike to get further back into the woods at Cheatham WMA? I did some mild scouting today and found many old roads that were marked "foot traffic only". Can you take a mountain bike down those trails to get to where you want to hunt?

catman529

I talked to the area manager for yanahli WMA and he said mtn bikes are fine as long as there is no motor. Which would mean foot power/foot travel only. I'd imagine cheatham would be the same but never hurts to ask the area manager.

catman529

tbird13 said:
Thanks Catman. Do you hunt from a bike much? If so, have you had much success? Any tips?
it helps when it's a long way in, and you have flat fields and/or roads to ride on. Rough terrain makes it worthless, it would be better to walk then. I hitched a deer cart to my bike to carry gear and deer.

shane37110

How stable is that cart setup? I never thought about a bike for deer hunting. Used to bungee cord a single shot to my bike handlebars when I was a kid and go squirrel hunting. Imagine if kids rode through a neighborhood like that today headed to a patch of woods!

PalsPal

I have been told that, on WMAs where I hunt, foot traffic only signs mean walking only.

Bikes would not be OK on those trails but would be where signs are designated no motorized vehicles.

I think it is to keep horseback riders from using them primarily.

Like stik said, you better check with the area manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts