Hunting elk..

solodren

Hey guys and gals just curious if yall have some advice.. I have read many articles on hunting elk,, and would love to try someday,, with a bow preferbly,, what is the first step ,, where do I go to apply for a permit,, the best place etc.. guided?? any tips and help would be greatly apprecited..

tnhntr

You should order a subscription to Eastmans Hunting Journal and Eastmans Bowhunting Journal. They have a Member Research Section with all the information that you might need.

4onaside

Colorado has more elk and is easier to get a tag than any other state. They also have millions of acres of federal land where all you have to do is step out of the truck and hunt. Start hanging out on the Colorado DOW website and work from there.

megalomaniac

Best place to get started is find a couple of guys who are willing to do it with you. It's tough to do a do-it-yourself hunt without a partner for the first year or two.

Once you've got a group, I'd recommend Colorado for your first hunt. Mostly because tags with bow are over the counter (no draw), and you won't draw a good bow tag in the other states without a couple of years applying. The other reason for Colorado to start is because they have more elk by far than any other state.

Next, go to CDOW website and pull up success odds for different units. That'll give you a clue as to which units will give you your best odds at killing an elk. Beware, though, most OTC archery tag units only run a 8-15% success with a bow. Don't expect to kill an elk on your own until you've hunted a few years. It's not easy, but is VERY rewarding to do it on your own.

OR, you can just shell out $3500-5000 for a guided hunt and expect to be right in the elk... although you still may not kill one.

I'm on the countdown!!! 3 1/2 weeks and I'll be back after them!

Latest posts