Hunting a neighborhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennesseejb

Had a friend ask if I could come to their house and kill a couple deer that keep eating their shrubs. The house is on the edge of a neighborhood in Nolensville and I have written permission from the homeowner to hunt the deer on their property. So my first inclination is... sure, I can come kill your deer. A crossbow would be quiet and safer than spooking the neighborhood with a rifle at dawn. The risk as I see it is the deer runs "the wrong direction" and ends up dying on someones front porch, which would be less than ideal. I get the property concerns from the perspective of recovering a deer from someones property that I don't have permission to hunt... are there any other concerns or laws that I need to consider? Happy to help him out and put some meat in the freezer, but don't want to step outside of the rules in doing so. Thanks for any feedback.

tennesseejb

Thanks SCN. I don't think they are technically in the city limits, but I guess for the basis of your post that doesn't matter. So the real risk seems to be whether I create a situation that could be perceived as creating a threat to the safety of others, especially with a weapon.

catman529

Deer could run into someone's patio but they are not likely to... Think of it this way, do their escape routes go into someone's porch or off into some thicket or patch of woods? The deer will run for safety when shot so its not likely to die in someone's garden, but you should consider who's property it could cross over and die on.

Ps I'm not far from nolensville if any help is needed in the next 5 days or next September ;)

JMcB

Question answered by sticky

Does that go State wide w/in City limits? Reason I ask is we have family friends in Dandridge who have the same deer problem.

catman529

jar said:
Dont count on a deer heading for the woods after a shot. I watched a deer on a death run across 3 yards in Brentwood a few years ago where we were working. Actually fell dead next to a ladys car under a carport. She didn't care at all but the neighbor was freaking out. The deer laid in the yard until Radnor Lake picked it up. They said they could not since it was not on Park property but the older lady would not take no for an answer.
crazy so I take it was poached and the hunter never came to get it? Sorry ill quit posting now just remembered its the TWRA forum

tennesseejb

Thanks for the offer catman... I passed right now... too many variables and as much as I'd love to help him out (for a number of reasons), I don't need the hassle when a neighbor down the street calls the police. I told him if it was a neighborhood issue and he could get more of the neighbors or the HOA to agree, then I might reconsider.

So I'll be out in my normal hunting spots this weekend to finish off the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts