Hunting a Freshly Planted Corn Field

Bucks & Beards

Saturday I killed a gobbler in a field that had been planted in cotton last year. I saw a total of 13 birds (6 hens, 4 jakes and 3 long-beards) feeding all afternoon in this field. This week, the farmer came in and plowed everything up, applied herbicides/pesticides and is probably planting corn today.
Will this help or hurt the turkeys using this field? I looked at a small section of the field today that had just been plowed, but not planted and saw 2 hens and a jake. I guess my biggest concern is with the herbicides and pesticides. I know just the plowing can actually help.

woodsman87

It is going to help. We are talking corn here. They also like plowed fields. Brings up grubs, seeds, worms, all kinds of other bugs, roots, because turkeys eat about everything. And they ain't like doves, they will eat the corn even after its germinated. I have seen them pluck about 4 or 5 inch stalks out and eat them.

Bucks & Beards

woodsman87 said:
It is going to help. We are talking corn here. They also like plowed fields. Brings up grubs, seeds, worms, all kinds of other bugs, roots, because turkeys eat about everything. And they ain't like doves, they will eat the corn even after its germinated. I have seen them pluck about 4 or 5 inch stalks out and eat them.
I know that turkeys like corn and freshly plowed fields, I was just wondering what effect the herbicides/pesticides would have on the grubs, seeds, worms, bugs, roots, etc. that turkeys feed upon. Would these chemicals kill out the food sources and therefore adversely effect the use of the field?

Southern Sportsman

They just burn the field with herbicides and then turn it under and plant. Sometimes they will also spray fungicides, but neither of these hurt anything. I hunt a farm where they occasionally plant corn and in promise, its awesome when they do it.

Bucks & Beards

Thanks for the input. Setting up under some known roost trees and in a strut zone at the south end of one of these fields in the AM. Will give a report after the hunt. Gonna be cold, but still and clear. Should be good after the weather we've had for the past 24 hrs.

Bucks & Beards

Found out today the corn has not been planted, the seed bed had just been prepared then we got a 3 inch rain, the fields were mud lakes this morning.
I hunted but had no sightings and did not hear any gobble in fields that I was consistently seeing birds until Wed (the day before the rain).
What should I do?? Wait for things to dry up and the corn to be planted? Do you think then the birds will return? I did have numerous sightings today in pastures and close to hardwoods.

Latest posts