"Hunter" or "Deer Hunter" ?

Buzzard Breath

I refer to myself as a "hunter". I hunt far more than just deer. If I only hunted deer, I would probably refer to myself as a "deer hunter". Not really sure though. I couldn't imagine restricting myself to just deer.

Dbllunger

Definately a "hunter". I hunted a lot of different things before I ever went deer hunting and have hunted a lot of other things since I started deer hunting. Deer hunting is my favorite but I will pop a squirrel, rabbit, dove, duck, pheasant, quail, turkey, coyote, bobcat in a heartbeat if the season is in and the mood strikes me.

timberjack86

Buzzard Breath said:
I refer to myself as a "hunter". I hunt far more than just deer. If I only hunted deer, I would probably refer to myself as a "deer hunter". Not really sure though. I couldn't imagine restricting myself to just deer.
Yep I am not just a deer hunter.

BSK

I'm primarily a deer hunter. When I was young I hunted a few other species (squirrel, rabbit, dove, hogs), but I haven't hunted anything but deer in many years.

Urban_Hunter

Poser said:
So, if a persons declares himself to be a "Bow Hunter", I always understood that to mean "You only hunt with a bow", or, "You primarily hunt with a bow", otherwise, you are a "hunter" who bow hunts. Right? :)

It's kind of like saying you race cars. Sure, you can race mom's minivan vs your neighbors go kart... but I'm talking Nascar here... Ricky Bobby Nascar...

But to answer the original question... I hunt it all but ducks, I'm too poor to even think about getting into that mess... plus, it interfers with deer hunting... I mean... bow hunting :grin:

catman529

As much as I love deer hunting, I could not restrict myself to just hunting deer. Turkeys, squirrel and dove are important to me... Especially turkeys.

TheLBLman

I would describe myself more as a hunter-manager.

Regarding the hunting, yes, I may spend more of that time hunting deer than any other single species, but I am first and foremost a hunter-manager, very involved in what I can do to "manage" the land and all wildlife for the betterment of all, not just to the betterment of my deer "hunting". And I will typically spend more time annually "hunting" other things than just hunting "deer".

I enjoy year-round wildlife photography as well as being out in nature, year-round. Many activities overlap, including lots of hiking, which some may do purely for the "hiking". Much of my hiking is combined with other interests, such as looking for places to improve wildlife habitat, place wildlife cam traps, turkey hunting, etc. I'll spend almost as much time out "hiking" with a shotgun handy during turkey season as I spend sitting on a deer stand (or deer hunting).

Maybe I'm more a "student", of nature. :)

mike243

Hunter,been 1 forever, deer were not here in my early years in #s to hunt,a lot of birds & squirrels & rabbits fell to a shotgun/slingshot/bb gun in my younger years.Killed my first deer at 24 .I started trying 8 years before.

redblood

without a doubt a hunter. squirrel, coyote, dove, rabbit, deer, bobcat, fox and turkey. squirrel and predator hunter foremost. love turkey hunting. do not find deer hunting as physically or mentally challenging as many of the others. i think alot of the degradation of physical, acccuracy and woodmanship related skills can be attributed to often sedimenary nature of deer hunting. i believe it impossible to fully develop hunting skills, by just hunting any one animal species- especially deer and dove.

mike243

redblood said:
BSK said:
I'm primarily a deer hunter. When I was young I hunted a few other species (squirrel, rabbit, dove, hogs), but I haven't hunted anything but deer in many years.

any particular reason why that is the case?
I can answer that for most of us,limited time,trying to earn a living & pick what to spend your limited time doing.family takes #1.its life,do the best you can with limiting the bad affects to your family ie time away from them.