Hummingbirds

FTP

Good morning, not exactly sure which forum to put this in. But here goes, usually at this time of the summer I have anywhere from 80-120 hummers at about a dozen feeders. It is one of the most impressive views of nature that I've seen, sometimes it looks like a beehive. I've been feeding these little guys since 2007 every year. Anyways this season I've seen 2-3 birds, something catastrophic must've occurred. I've contacted the TWRA, they were not much help, and I've left a couple of messages with other "professionals"
Is anyone else observing his drastic reduction in numbers?

jag1

Years ago I quit using feeders. I have flower plantings that bring them in. Can't imagine how much work you're putting into a dozen feeders. Concerning the numbers, I haven't noticed a reduction in my numbers this year.

MrJim43

2-Step Enabled
WE are down to almost none. Maybe 3 at the most.They have declined over the last 3 or 4 years for us. Sure miss the little ones

FTP

Unlike most of your comments, I had no reduction in numbers until this Spring. I did notify the TWRA, their guy said their counts this Spring have been normal. He had no idea why I was seeing so few birds.

DoubleRidge

Middle TN.....3 feeders.... normally we will have 10 to 15 hummingbirds.....this year 1 or 2.....the most we've seen at the same time is 3.....so yes, for us it's a significant drop.

Stumpsitter

I've noticed it too. I've only had 3 or 4. I generally have at least a dozen. I fear they might go the way of the quail and grouse have went in my area the Southern Cumberland plateau .

FTP

I'm wondering if after they left here last Fall, was there a late season Hurricane or such that affected Central America and maybe killed a large number of them... just speculating.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I typically don't see any until later in the year but haven't seen a single one yet.

Big Pop

Probably have about half of normal visitors to our feeders this year near Knoxville. Others have noticed a reduction as well in our area.

FTP

I am thankful that you all have responded with your sightings, I have reported this to the fellow in charge of this stuff with the TWRA, he was very perplexed to say the least. Keep us updated out there good folks!

jag1

After your thread, I started watching mine more closely & have seen a reduction in numbers. I remembered reading somewhere that this was common while taking care of the young & once that was over you'd see more. Went & found this article. Think it explains what I'm seeing but maybe not your situation.

Where did they go?

FTP

Jag1...
Thanks for commenting. I've been feeding the birds where I live since 2008
The reduction ive seen is catastrophic. I would normally be filling up 10 feeders everyday at this point of the season
I'm seeing 2-3 birds and that is it.
I am baffled....

Rob R.

Good morning, not exactly sure which forum to put this in. But here goes, usually at this time of the summer I have anywhere from 80-120 hummers at about a dozen feeders. It is one of the most impressive views of nature that I've seen, sometimes it looks like a beehive. I've been feeding these little guys since 2007 every year. Anyways this season I've seen 2-3 birds, something catastrophic must've occurred. I've contacted the TWRA, they were not much help, and I've left a couple of messages with other "professionals"
Is anyone else observing his drastic reduction in numbers?
Did your Hummingbirds ever show up. I only had one or two around until about mid July. Probably have 8-10 now. Ive got two feeders up and only put 2.5 cups of sugar water in them at a time. Clean and refilling probably every 4-5 days. If I get close to them the ruby throated bully tries to run me off. Was sitting on the patio this morning and one probably passed by at maybe 12 inches. I think he was doing about 300 miles per hour. Where is my old football helmet?

WTM

their range has expanded for several years and now everybody and their mommas are feeding them now, so they have a lot of food choices.

put the same amount of birds spread out over greater distance and youll naturally see less. Cornell Ornithology hasnt seen a reduction in numbers.

Latest posts