Human Scent and Rainy Days

Hymie3

I was sitting in the stand Saturday morning after walking in before daylight with a light drizzle falling and it having rained during the night before thinking about how much of my scent i leave behind walking in during wet conditions compared to walking in on completely dry mornings/evenings. For some reason in my mind (with nothing to back it up) I always feel like wetter days conceal my scent better. Any thoughts or anyone with any science to back me or debunk my thoughts?

Omega

Nothing scientific here either, but when younger, I used to like still hunting in light rain. It would camo my steps and I felt it did the same for my scent, always seen deer, and many times got to within 20 yards of them.

Panther Bone

I believe rain helps keep scent grounded longer. This is why blacktail bucks love rainy days in the rut so much. I still hunt on rainy days during gun season.

tnanh

When I was younger, we had rabbit dogs. They always did better and we killed more rabbits on damp, drizzly days. Old guys always said those kind of days the scent held to the ground better in those conditions. I believe they were correct.

TN Larry

When I was younger, we had rabbit dogs. They always did better and we killed more rabbits on damp, drizzly days. Old guys always said those kind of days the scent held to the ground better in those conditions. I believe they were correct.
Exactly what I was going to post. Beagles can smell rabbits a whole lot better on damp mornings versus a cold, dry morning.

megalomaniac

rain or excessive humidity does just the opposite of what you are thinking... it actually makes it EASIER for deer to smell you, and your scent lasts much LONGER on the ground on your walk in/ walk out.

JCDEERMAN

Yep - high humidity days are the worst for your scent to linger. The moisture holds it in place. Fortunately, most days later in fall and into December, the humidity stays to a minimum.

Mr.Bro

Yes wet damp conditions are not best for controlling your scent. BUT you had better be in the tree the second the rain quits. Not an hour later or you will be to late. Bucks will be up freshening those scrapes this time of year.

Colwell1505

I was sitting in the stand Saturday morning after walking in before daylight with a light drizzle falling and it having rained during the night before thinking about how much of my scent i leave behind walking in during wet conditions compared to walking in on completely dry mornings/evenings. For some reason in my mind (with nothing to back it up) I always feel like wetter days conceal my scent better. Any thoughts or anyone with any science to back me or debunk my thoughts?
I feel same it washes it down and makes walking in less stressful for me

catman529

Scientifically, damp or wet conditions are best for the bacteria that produce human scent. Dry, sunny, windy days seem to be better for leaving the least amount of ground scent.

with that said, stalking conditions are best in the rain. If your wind is good, you can sneak without being heard, then the only thing you have to worry about is the deers eyes.

Hymie3

Makes sense. I've just never been sure. On a different note, I had a spike grunting and pushing two does night before last While hunting behind the house .. getting close fellows

Latest posts